I can not make the indexing funtion in Word work properly.

To make it simple I am using a narrative report with my father as the start. Then an indented descendant chart.

When I use (Vista Word in the compatable mode) a master file then creat an index the page numbers are wrong. I can creat a single report (either one of them) and it indexes correctly or I can take the two reports, cut and paste one of them into the other and it works properly.

section breaks do not effect the numbering

Any suggestions or anything I can read about to get this done?

Thanks

John

Assuming that i understand your description...

I created a Descendant Indented Narrative with indexing and a Descendant Indented Chart with indexing.

And then created a Word master document and inserted the two previous documents as subdocuments.

Created an index.

Initially, I also saw some strange things with the page numbering and with the page numbering in the index. (The problem came from indexing in outline view. Should have known better. :) )

I saved as Word 97-2003. Closed, reopened, used outline view to expand the subdocuments, closed outline view, reindexed in print layout view and now the page numbering and index page numbering are correct.

I have no idea what 'Vista Word in the compatable mode' means. I'm running Word 2007 under Win7.