jnshankland

Tidbits not showing in the Journal.

I have entered many tidbits about people and events in my data base. I was an early roots user and converted my data base to TMG many years ago. The conversion placed these tidbits in various different places which I didn't understand. I have done little with the Journal until now but am working on getting everything correct.

Some of my problems, I have many items entered in the details (I guess in the places section) like John Shankland married Cathy (and in details) at the LaGrange Country club. While this detail shows in TMG in the sentence it does not show in the Journal. Same for my Grand Daughter Camryn J (Detail) born during a raging snow storm. Camryn's middle name, J (only) stands for her 4 grandparents who all have "J" names. None of the above shows.

I have entered many things in the memo field that don't show. For example newspaper wedding stories, obituaries, and the like.

I have entered many of the other principal’s parents but few of them show in the Journal. I have discovered the <paro> variable which fixes the issue but I don't understand how it got there. For example my 3 children are married and I have entered their spouse’s parents. My youngest says something like "she married John the son of Jack and Virginia" but this was not included with the other 2 children. Why? How can I find all the instances of this and correct them?

I have memos checked and no sureties checked but to no avail. I am using the Custom layout.

Maybe I should have made this more than one post but if you can answer any one item please do.

Thanks

John

You need to add the <PARO> to your marriage sentences globally if you want it to always appear. It also sounds like some of your sentences are using [M2] or [M3] which is common with an UFT import, but your tidbits are in [M1]. Just edit your sentences to use the memo field that the tidbit is in. Each memo field has nine fields separated by || so a memo can look like this:

a memo||a memo||a memo||a memo||a memo||a memo||a memo||a memo||a memo

Each one of those is referenced in the sentence by an M and a number.

To edit a sentence globally, you edit the MASTER TAG TYPE LIST and then edit the sentence structure there. THat will edit that sentence for that tag for every instance in your database. To edit a sentence in just one instance (be very sure you want to do this because it can't be overridden globally) of a sentence, you edit it locally by opening a tag and editing the sentence there. I recommend that most new users edit in the MASTER TAG TYPE LIST until they know what they are doing and then they can edit locally. Once you edit a sentence locally, you can not can the edits you have made there globally any longer unless you override the local sentence with the global sentence locally. That's fine, but if you don't understand what you are doing, you can get results that you aren't expecting and can't figure out why.