Alx

TMG installation on ext. HDD?

Hi,

I would like to know; Is it possible to install TMG (7.04) as a standalone program on an external harddisk drive without installing anything on the computer's HDD? And if so; How do I do it?

Then it would be easy to work with the projects on different computers and while travelling. Just plug in the USB (or whatever interface you use) and start working. To solve the problem with different screen sizes and shapes, one could have different layouts for different PC's and screen's.

best regards,

Alexander Jenseg

Oslo, Norway

TMG requires entries in the Windows Registry, like most modern programs, and thus must be installed on each computer on which it is to run.

I've heard of systems that are supposed to allow programs to be installed on and run from removable drives, but my recollection is they work on a short list of programs. So far as I'm aware, TMG has not been tested with such systems.

I would like to know; Is it possible to install TMG (7.04) as a standalone program on an external harddisk drive without installing anything on the computer's HDD?

No.

Thanks for the answers.

The VMware approach was an interesting one. I already have a registered version of VMware at work, so this could be a fun experiment.

best regards,

Alexander Jenseg

Oslo, Norway

I think i asked this same question a year or two ago. I understand what the replies are saying about the install but it still seems like a good idea to me and am curious if they have considered it

jrw

I think i asked this same question a year or two ago. I understand what the replies are saying about the install but it still seems like a good idea to me and am curious if they have considered it

jrw

How, if TMG requires entries to the registry (and it does), can it even be considered?

jrw

How, if TMG requires entries to the registry (and it does), can it even be considered?

Not being a programmer and knowing even less what is requires to enter in the registry I have no idea. Still the idea of being able to take it with my in a coat pocket on a trip seems desireable. I dont really know how ram is made either but more always seems like a good idea. My point was not that i know how to do it, but that it would be nice to do if possble. There are certainly things that run from eternal hard drives using only stuff installed in the computer. For example if i put a PDF on an external hard drive and click it, most computers it runs. I understand that TMG is a much more complicated programk but the idea remains good

jrw

The problems aren't analogous. The program that opens the PDF file is already installed on the computer. The PDF file is only the data. There are "stand-alone" programs of various kinds which can just run without being installed, but they don't connect with most of the the facilities offered by the operating system. TMG is not of that description and at a guess one wouldn't want it to be.

formerprof