RickRoof

Wordport Spawn Error in Journal Report

Hi,

I'm running TMG under Vista Home prem. plus.

I'm trying to generate a Journal report and output to Micosoft word (2000 or higher)

The system seems to generate the report (status Bar reaches 100%) bu then goes to a message reading

"WORDPORT SPAWN ERROR"

Clicking OK gives another message

"CONVERSION ERROR #20: UNKNOWN ERROR - CONTACT TECH SUPPORT"

any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Rick

You are apparently running WinVista x64? TMG7 does not support output to Word, WordPerfect, RTF or HTML under 64-bit operating systems. A replacement for the word processing output libraries is in development.

You are apparently running WinVista x64? TMG7 does not support output to Word, WordPerfect, RTF or HTML under 64-bit operating systems. A replacement for the word processing output libraries is in development.

OK Thanks, Yes I am running Vista x64

Wholly Genes never publishes a date for future versions or upgrades. I have no inside information, but I would guess that this is a high priority for the company since 64-bit Vista is becoming more prevelant. We will all just have to wait.

Just great. Vista has been out for quite some time now, and Microsoft's new operating release will be out very shortly. Are there ANY workarounds to this problem?

The issue has nothing to do with WinVista and nothing to do with Win7. It has to do with the fact that 16-bit code doesn't run under 64-bit operating systems. The only solution for the word processing output issue is to run TMG7 under a 32-bit operating system.

I wonder if we can output the report to .pdf and then convert it to Word.

Yes... assuming that you have some means to convert a PDF to a Word document.

I wonder if we can output the report to .pdf and then convert it to Word.

Yes... assuming that you have some means to convert a PDF to a Word document.

It's available online and "free". Google: pdf to word

Edited by vabopi

The issue has nothing to do with WinVista and nothing to do with Win7. It has to do with the fact that 16-bit code doesn't run under 64-bit operating systems. The only solution for the word processing output issue is to run TMG7 under a 32-bit operating system.

I am running Windows XP sp3 (not 64 bit) and consistently get this error report. Still waiting for a fix.

I too am waiting to be able to send reports to Word (Office 2007) to print. I am using 64bit Windows 7. Seems like this problem has been going on for months. Is it really that hard to get it fixed? :angry:

I too am waiting to be able to send reports to Word (Office 2007) to print. I am using 64bit Windows 7. Seems like this problem has been going on for months. Is it really that hard to get it fixed? :angry:

Considering that it means an entire re-write of certain .dll libraries without using any 16 bit code- yes.

Oh noooo! You mean the problem isn't fixed in Win 7, either???? I can't even get mine to save to a pdf file, let alone convert it to word. I've been usin Legacy 7 while waiting for Windows 7. I really don't like Legacy, but was hoping I could go back to TMG soon. Looks like that may not be.

You ask: "the problem isn't fixed in Win 7??" No, it is Vista (and Win 7) that introduced the problem. As has been said repeatedly in postings on this Forum, Vista (and Win 7 which is essentially equivalent to a service pack upgrade of Vista) chose to not support 16-bit applications within their operating system if that OS is run in 64-bit mode. The current release of TMG includes a third-party report generation package that contains 16-bit code. Vista (and the Win 7 upgrade of Vista) won't permit that small portion of TMG (as well as many other 16-bit applications from many other vendors) to work. The only way TMG (and many other vendor applications) will ever get their applications to work in the 64-bit version of either Vista or Win 7 is to produce a new version of that application that does not use 16-bit code. Wholly Genes has announced repeatedly that they are hard at work producing this new version of their report generator. However, everything else in TMG works just fine in either Vista or Win 7.

There have been multiple postings of the instructions to get TMG to save to a pdf file in 64-bit Vista. If you are still having problems, please create a new post describing what you have tried and one of us users will try to help. I don't see why you should be using Legacy if you don't like it. Why not go back to TMG now since TMG works for everything except non-PDF reports?

Thanks for the replies, Jim and Michael. I just saw another post regarding the PDF option (which I've had no success with). I'm going to fiddle around with it.