sky is blue

how can I copy Master Tag List to another computer

I have created many entries in the Master Tag List. I want to copy the Master Tag List from 1 computer to another. Which files do I need to copy to do this ? Thanks

What do you want the tag list for on the new computer?

Peter

I have created many entries in the Master Tag List. I want to copy the Master Tag List from 1 computer to another. Which files do I need to copy to do this ? Thanks

What do you want the tag list for on the new computer?

Peter

The second computer is my sister's computer. She is a beginner with TMG and I want to give her the TAG Types without replacing her project. Thanks

I'm confused about exactly what you are trying to do. The Master Tag Type List is a part of each Project (actually a part of each Data Set if you have more than one Data Set in your Project).

Copying that Project to another computer will bring the Master Tag Type List with it. So if you are moving your Project from one computer to another you just copy the Project.

If, on the other hand, you are starting a new Project, or want to copy the Master Tag Type List from one existing Project to another, that is quite a different process. If you can clarify what you are trying to do we can explain the process required.

or want to copy the Master Tag Type List from one existing Project to another, that is quite a different process.

Terry,

in case I understand the question correct then that's exactly the desired result

-> exporting the Master Tag Type list from an existing project and then

-> import the Master Tag Type list into another existing project.

I also have to admit that this might be wrong - so a more precise description would help a great deal.

Assuming we understand what you want, try this. There are probably many ways to do this, but the way I use is to create a project that contains nothing but an empty dataset that has all my customizations, such as custom tag types, and then merge the non-customized dataset into that empty dataset. Before you do any of this I strongly suggest you read Terry's Tips about merging projects and datasets here and make complete backups.

TMG always merges one dataset into another, leaving the sending/source dataset unaltered. First create a new but empty Project with a dataset that has (nearly) all your customizations. Then merge the non-empty dataset into the empty dataset. This requires following these steps:

• “Add” a new dataset to your customized project using the Dataset Manager, and copy all attributes of the main customized dataset.
  • Keep TMG open but close the project and now use TMG to copy your entire project into a new project
  • Open the copied project and delete all datasets except the new empty one, and renumber the empty dataset to ‘1’.
  • Now into this new project import the desired (your sister's) dataset. You will now have two datasets, the empty one and the imported one.
  • Now merge that imported dataset into the empty dataset.
  • Delete the non-customized imported dataset leaving only the merged customized dataset in this new project.
  • You might also choose to go back to your original customized project and delete the empty dataset you created.

You must merge into the customized empty dataset since any tag types that have the same name will use the definitions of this destination (empty) dataset, not the source (your sister's) dataset. If the merge is done in that direction all the custom tag types, as well as modifications to standard tag types are retained. For more details about mergings refer to Terry's Tips mentioned above. Be sure to make backups of everything before you begin.

Since your sister is a beginner to TMG it might be easier if she does a backup, and sends you the .sqz backup file. You can then restore her project on your computer, do all this merging yourself, and send her back a backup of her modified project for her to restore. It is harder to explain than it is to do, but I think this will do what you want.

Hope this gives you ideas.

Sky,

I didn't see your second post when I wrote my reply this morning. Michael has told you how to get your customized Tag Types into your sister's Project. But he didn't describe how to get them out of your current project. I'd suggest this method for that task.

1. Open your Project, and create a temporary new person with only a Name Tag and no Source Citations. (If you use a person with other tags or with citations you will have to clean up the Master Source List, Master Repository List and Master Place list in step 3 below).

2. Make a List of People report for that one person, and set the Secondary Output in Options to create a new Project with the people (person) in the report. Complete the report and let the new Project be created.

3. Open that Project, and delete the one person from it.

You now have an empty Project with all your customized Tag Types for your sister to merge as Michael described.

Note that the process Michael and I are describing will also apply any customizations you have made to Source Types, Styles, Flags, Preferences that appear in the "Current Project Options" section, and the Add Person screen to your sister's project.

Michael has told you how to get your customized Tag Types into your sister's Project. But he didn't describe how to get them out of your current project.
Terry, I believe my first three bullets will do exactly that? Just like your three steps, my first three steps gets an empty dataset with all the customized tags in it.

As I said, there are probably multiple ways to do this.

Sorry, Michael,

You are right, you did explain how to creat the empty project and I managed to somehow overlook that. In fact, your method allows one to copy only the Tag Types and not the Source Types, Styles or Flags. I'm not clear about whether it copies the Add Person Settings or Preferences, but I'd guess it doesn't. So, I believe your method is better if all you want is the custom Tag Types.

However, if you also want the Source Types it doesn't work well, because you have to also copy the entire Master Source List which generally you wouldn't want. There are obviously several ways to do this, and each has somewhat different results.

Assuming we understand what you want, try this. There are probably many ways to do this, but the way I use is to create a project that contains nothing but an empty dataset that has all my customizations, such as custom tag types, and then merge the non-customized dataset into that empty dataset. Before you do any of this I strongly suggest you read Terry's Tips about merging projects and datasets here and make complete backups.

TMG always merges one dataset into another, leaving the sending/source dataset unaltered. First create a new but empty Project with a dataset that has (nearly) all your customizations. Then merge the non-empty dataset into the empty dataset. This requires following these steps:

• “Add” a new dataset to your customized project using the Dataset Manager, and copy all attributes of the main customized dataset.
  • Keep TMG open but close the project and now use TMG to copy your entire project into a new project
  • Open the copied project and delete all datasets except the new empty one, and renumber the empty dataset to ‘1’.
  • Now into this new project import the desired (your sister's) dataset. You will now have two datasets, the empty one and the imported one.
  • Now merge that imported dataset into the empty dataset.
  • Delete the non-customized imported dataset leaving only the merged customized dataset in this new project.
  • You might also choose to go back to your original customized project and delete the empty dataset you created.

You must merge into the customized empty dataset since any tag types that have the same name will use the definitions of this destination (empty) dataset, not the source (your sister's) dataset. If the merge is done in that direction all the custom tag types, as well as modifications to standard tag types are retained. For more details about mergings refer to Terry's Tips mentioned above. Be sure to make backups of everything before you begin.

Since your sister is a beginner to TMG it might be easier if she does a backup, and sends you the .sqz backup file. You can then restore her project on your computer, do all this merging yourself, and send her back a backup of her modified project for her to restore. It is harder to explain than it is to do, but I think this will do what you want.

Hope this gives you ideas.

Michael,

Thanks you for these directions. Following them I was able to get the customized tag types from my computer to my sister's project.

Best Regards,

Sky

Edited by sky is blue

If I want to copy just a few custom tags from one ongoing project into another ongoing project, is there a way to do that without either recreating them or having to create a new dataset? I read through the steps in the thread above and that seemed to be aimed at moving an entire Master Tag list. What I want to do involves only a dozen custom tags, moving between two projects that are not new.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Linda

Sorry, Linda, not that I know of.

However, as posted in the latest TMG Newsletter, Wholly Genes is working on the next Version of TMG.

See the preview of Version 8 posted here.

As noted in that preview, Version 8 hopes to include the ability to:

"Share your tag types, roles, and sentences with friends and fellow researchers or copy them between your own projects using the new Import and Export features."

If that comes to pass it sounds like this export/import of tag types may do what you wish. We can only hope and wait.

Linda,

Absent the feature Michael refers to above, there is a way to copy a few Tag Types, but it's not really simple. First, the Tag Types you want to copy must have different names than any Tag Types in the Data Set into which you want to copy them. If that's the case, you can do it like this:

1. Add a "dummy" person to the first Data Set and attach a tag of each type that you want to copy to that person.

2. Use the Secondary Output of the List of People report to make a new Project with just that one person.

3. Merge that Project with the Project into which you want to copy the Tags.

4. Copy the dummy person into the main Data Set in the second Project. This adds all the Tag Types attached to that person that don't already exist in the Data Set.

5. Delete the dummy person from your working Data Set, and delete the second Data Set that was created by merging the Projects.

As I said, not really simple. :(

If you decide to try this be sure you have current backups of both Projects, or better, work with copies of them.

Terry,

Is there anyway to use your method described below and get the Master Source List to also copy over to the new Project?

LuAnn

1. Open your Project, and create a temporary new person with only a Name Tag and no Source Citations. (If you use a person with other tags or with citations you will have to clean up the Master Source List, Master Repository List and Master Place list in step 3 below).

2. Make a List of People report for that one person, and set the Secondary Output in Options to create a new Project with the people (person) in the report. Complete the report and let the new Project be created.

3. Open that Project, and delete the one person from it.

You now have an empty Project with all your customized Tag Types for your sister to merge as Michael described.

Note that the process Michael and I are describing will also apply any customizations you have made to Source Types, Styles, Flags, Preferences that appear in the "Current Project Options" section, and the Add Person screen to your sister's project.

Hi LuAnn,

You don't need Terry's method for this, this is easy. Version 7.04 already has an option to export and import selected sources. (See TMG Help topic "Export Sources".) Open the Master Source List. Click the button titled "Export". Now mark only the sources you wish to move to the other project. Note that you can also export their repositories using the check box at the bottom. When you have marked what you want, click the Export button on this screen. It will then let you name the export file, which will have a file extension of ".xso", and choose which folder to store it in.

Now in the receiving project, open the Master Source list and choose Import. Find the ".xso" file you saved above. All the sources from that file will be imported (there is no selection at this stage). You can choose to have a prefix added to all these imported source names if you wish to make sure they remain different from existing sources.

That is all you need to do. (We hope that the tag and tag type export/import that I mentioned was hinted at for Version 8 will be as simple.)