Marlyn R. Lewis

Direct Line Accent for LARGE database.

This is a great feature, BUT it slows the program down to a snail's pace if you have a large database (like over 100,000 records). It probably chokes on a database with half that many records as well.

Is there some mechanism that would allow me to highlight with a different color (like accent does) for my direct line without causing the program to recalculate each time I put in a new request, person, or bit of data? I have a very fast computer with LOTS of memory, so I know that's not the problem.

Is my solution to turn off the feature when I'm doing any kinda of data entry and turn it back on when I'm "viewing"? That seems like a great deal of trouble and does require the program to recalculate again each time I turn the feature back on.

If this has been covered before, I beg your forgiveness.

You can use the Ancestor Interest flag (provided that you are disciplined about setting it!) I have a custom flag Relationship, 0 to 9 which I use for this purpose (Direct ancestors are set to 9 on data entry) and to produce reports of close relatives that I need to do more research on.

The you set the Accent deffinitiion accordingly. Simples.

It is well know that using the filters like "Is and ancestor of..." to control Accents produces unacceptable performance hits in large Projects. The solution, as robmoff says, is to use a Flag to control the Accents. Since the Flag is pre-set, no computations of relationships is required when you navigate from person to person.

My article on Accents discusses this, and provides a link to a second article on creating a "Related-by" Flag that produces more detailed accents than a simple filter will produce.

You can use the Ancestor Interest flag (provided that you are disciplined about setting it!) I have a custom flag Relationship, 0 to 9 which I use for this purpose (Direct ancestors are set to 9 on data entry) and to produce reports of close relatives that I need to do more research on.

The you set the Accent deffinitiion accordingly. Simples.

If I already have the database entered and I've never set the "Ancestor Interest" flag, how would I go about doing this? I'm certainly not going back through all those records to determine ancestor interest. I may be young, but I won't live that long. I don't need reports (at this time). I need a clear graphic (like color) to tell me that the record I'm working on (data entry) is, in fact, an ancestor.

Is there a more direct solution?

If I already have the database entered and I've never set the "Ancestor Interest" flag, how would I go about doing this?
Terry already answered your question. His detailed instructions on creating a "Related-by" Flag and automatically setting its values for the people in your dataset by running a simple series of reports with some filters is described here.

Hope this gives you ideas,

Marlyn,

As Michael says, you can create and set a Flag to be used for Accents by use of the List of People report as described in my article. You can use the existing Ancestor Interest Flag if the available values (0,1,2,3) will suffice. That is, it will work fine if all you want is the ancestors of a specific person to be marked, or something similarly simple.

The process described in my "Related-By" article produces a more elaborate set of Accents, which shows not only the ancestral line, but also siblings of ancestors, collateral cousins, spouses, and parents of spouses all in different colors. Creating that requires a careful execution of a number of steps, but several users have told me they were able to follow them without difficulty.

Simply replicating the effect of an "Is and Ancestor of..." filter is simpler, and can be done in a few minutes with the Focus Group and the List of People Report.

Marlyn,

As Michael says, you can create and set a Flag to be used for Accents by use of the List of People report as described in my article. You can use the existing Ancestor Interest Flag if the available values (0,1,2,3) will suffice. That is, it will work fine if all you want is the ancestors of a specific person to be marked, or something similarly simple.

The process described in my "Related-By" article produces a more elaborate set of Accents, which shows not only the ancestral line, but also siblings of ancestors, collateral cousins, spouses, and parents of spouses all in different colors. Creating that requires a careful execution of a number of steps, but several users have told me they were able to follow them without difficulty.

Simply replicating the effect of an "Is and Ancestor of..." filter is simpler, and can be done in a few minutes with the Focus Group and the List of People Report.

Thank you both for the help. This was a simple process, once I ignored all the fluff to accomplish things I didn't need. Very straight forward and performance hasn't been strangled.

Thanks again!