TMGnewbie

grayed out reports !

I just purchased and installed Family Tree SuperTools v2 and imported a Legacy 7 fdb file. During the import I had several popups "Variable 'LNTAGTYPE' is not found. 443 GBINDIEVENTS". But, the final log report said "no errors encountered".

Not sure what the popup LNTAGTYPE errors mean. Can you help? Are these errors? The website says SuperTools works directly with Legacy files.

2. After the import I tried to see what reports I could create and found that ALL are grayed out except for a handful like

Ancestor box chart

descendant box chart

etc.

Since there was no trial version of the SuperTools, I was forced to take a look at the charting capabilities of TMG before purchasing SuperTools because the WhollyGenes website said they were the same capabilities. But they are not!! Why are almost *all* the report options are grayed out? That is terrible! I did enter the registration code to unlock it. How do I make these other grayed out reports available? If not, I want my money back!

Very dissapointed! I re-installed twice with no difference. Working in Windows XP SP3.

:angry:

There are several other things not working correctly in the SuperTools v2.

In the help files is a link to a "tour of SuperTools" (http://www.whollygenes.com/ftsttour.htm). That link is non-existent. Eastman reported it was not working in 2001! and that he was assured it would be online in a few days [ http://www.eogn.com/archives/news0144.htm ] Obviously not.

2. After the import I tried to see what reports I could create and found that ALL are grayed out except for a handful like

Ancestor box chart

descendant box chart

etc.

Since there was no trial version of the SuperTools, I was forced to take a look at the charting capabilities of TMG before purchasing SuperTools because the WhollyGenes website said they were the same capabilities. But they are not!! Why are almost *all* the report options are grayed out?

Which charting capabilities do you find in TMG that are not in SuperTools? So far as I know they are the same.

TMG has the capability to produce many other types of reports that SuperTools cannot. Those are the reports that you see grayed out in SuperTools. But the website does not say SuperTools can produce those reports - only that it can produce charts, which is does.

Ancestor box chart

descendant box chart

etc.

Since there was no trial version of the SuperTools, I was forced to take a look at the charting capabilities of TMG before purchasing SuperTools because the WhollyGenes website said they were the same capabilities. But they are not!! Why are almost *all* the report options are grayed out?

Which charting capabilities do you find in TMG that are not in SuperTools? So far as I know they are the same.

TMG has the capability to produce many other types of reports that SuperTools cannot. Those are the reports that you see grayed out in SuperTools. But the website does not say SuperTools can produce those reports - only that it can produce charts, which is does.

That is what I gradually realized. Rather than gray out the other "reports" they really should have taken them off the SuperTools menu. I am sure I am not the only one confused by those grayed out options, especially since charts are not in a separate location but mixed in with the other reports. In any case the charting capabilities are worth the cost so it's OK as all the other reports I can get nicely from Legacy itself. However, I wish the tutorial they mention in the SuperTools help files was not a 404 page! I guess nothing is perfect.

Thanks Terry. Do you know of any tutorial for SuperTools?

Edited by TMGnewbie

I don't know of anything specific to SuperTools. I have several articles on creating Charts on my site, which so far as I know apply to SuperTools. See Creating Wall Charts.

Are there other functions in SuperTools you are interested in? There may be something on other features as well.

I don't know of anything specific to SuperTools. I have several articles on creating Charts on my site, which so far as I know apply to SuperTools. See Creating Wall Charts.

Are there other functions in SuperTools you are interested in? There may be something on other features as well.

Thank Terry. I was just interested in learning about the charting tools in SuperTools. For everything else I find Legacy quite good, but its charting capability is its present weakness. I suspect they will get better in future editions, hopefully.

Again, thank you. You have been very helpful. Are you connected with WhollyGenes?

You're welcome. :)

I'm not connected with WG in any offical way. I'm a serious user, a beta tester, and author of TMG and Second Site both on my website and in books, but have no other connection with the company.