Virginia Blakelock

Customizing layouts in FTST

FTSTlayout2.jpg

You can have multiple layouts in FTST, customized for the way you are working. In the example above, horizontal and vertical lines are enabled in Preferences / Lists. The yellow highlighted area in the Detail view is the ItemTips option in Preferences. The colors are custom plus the windows default. Small buttons are enabled in View/ Toolbars / Small buttons.

Virginia

post-23-1250890575_thumb.jpg

You can have multiple layouts in FTST, customized for the way you are working. In the example above, horizontal and vertical lines are enabled in Preferences / Lists. The yellow highlighted area in the Detail view is the ItemTips option in Preferences. The colors are custom plus the windows default. Small buttons are enabled in View/ Toolbars / Small buttons.

Virginia

Virginia, I printed a copy of one of your layouts (attachment=2047), but didn't print the posting so I could reply. I liked the layout which had Children, Siblings, Flags and Focus Groups across the top and Details and a "Custom" window on the bottom. I was intrigued by the "Custom" window on the bottom. It appeared to consist of links(?) to various lists and list reports, colors, etc. Can you share how you created the "Custom" window and how you use it?

Thanks,

Madeline

layout.pngCustomToolbar.png

Madeline -

That sounds like the Custom Toolbar (enlarged on the right above), which is an option in The Master Genealogist but not available in FTST. In TMG you can add buttons to a customized toolbar for features you use frequently. The toolbar can be docked to the top, side or bottom - or floated free, as mine is. You can have as many custom toolbars (say for specific tasks) as you wish. On my primary toolbar I have added about 40 buttons - for my projects, yearly census tags, Tools - like the Master Event List, customized reports, etc. It is a very handy feature. I don't like a lot of busy icons on the screen, so use color blocks; for example the turquoise blocks are for the census years from 1850-1930.

If you are using TMG, see Help / Custom Toolbar Manager.

Virginia