TerryD

Copying Tag Types

Hi all.

I have (some moons ago) set up tags for all of the UK census years 1841-1911, but having read some of the hints and tips I want to amend them. Basically I want to add all of the possible roles that are found on a UK census.

As I have used the tags in the past for existing entries, what is the best approach to save me going into each census tag and adding the same roles over and over?

Can I delete the existing tags from within the Tag Type List and copy the new "master Tag Type Definition" and rename to the original tags without upsetting the already entered data? e.g. Census 1841, Census 1851 etc exist at the moment. If I create all of the roles in Census 1911, delete all of the previous census tages and then copy Census 1911 sufficient times and rename them Census 1841, Census 1851 etc.

Will that work?

Also, if I put "Head of Household" at the top of the list rather than "Principle", will that affect anything adversely?

Thanks in advance - Terry

You can only add Roles to Tag Types, in the Tag Type Definition screen - you cannot do that in individual Tags. Once you add them to the Tag Type they are available to all Tags of that type, whether they are existing or new ones you add.

But you will have to revisit each existing Tag if you want to assign those Roles to the people entered in that Tag.

You cannot delete Tag Types that are in use, nor do you need to do that. But if you do not intend to revisit the existing Tags and assign your new Roles in them, you need to take care in editing the Sentences of the existing Roles so that the existing Tags will provide satisfactory output. If you intend to revisit them all you can ignore this.

Thanks Terry, that is what I thought might be the answer (i.e. I couldn't see how to copy the new roles from one Tag Type to another).

Re whether Principle or something different is at the top of the roles list, does that matter?

Oh well, here goes another evening amending...

Thanks again - regards - Terry