TMGnewbie

TreeDraw file into FTST?

This may not be possible but I thought to ask.

I have an ancient version of TreeDraw (version 1.21) in which I created several excellent charts. I now own the latest FTST.

There does not seem to be an import option for tdr (TreeDraw) files. I can copy and paste into FTST but what is pasted is a single image which I cannot ungroup into its individual components. Anyone know of any utility or method to bring tdr charts into FTST without having to re-create everything again?

I don't know of a way to import the Tree Draw files, but if you could post an image maybe we can come up with a report configuration in FTST to duplicate them.

Virginia

I was afraid that was the case.

Ideally I would like to import this file into FTST to work further and improve it in FTST. I could recreate the chart in FTST but am trying to avoid having to go through that as I have many such charts.

Jeff

I don't know of a way to import the Tree Draw files, but if you could post an image maybe we can come up with a report configuration in FTST to duplicate them.

Virginia

I was afraid that was the case.

Ideally I would like to import this file into FTST to work further and improve it in FTST. I could recreate the chart in FTST but am trying to avoid having to go through that as I have many such charts.

Jeff

Grasping at straws, have you tried ungrouping your components in Tree Draw, then pasting them to VCF?

Mike

Grasping at straws, have you tried ungrouping your components in Tree Draw, then pasting them to VCF?

Mike

Unfortunately does not help. They are ungrouped elements in TreeDraw but when transferred to VCF they paste as a single image object. :-(

I know nothing of TreeDraw but from what you describe it is producing a graphics file (think .jpg, .gif, .tif) and as such there are no text elements that you can send to another program. Very similar to scanning a page from a book and trying to work on it in a text editor.

If you can get TreeDraw to produce a plain vanilla text file (.txt, .rtf, .doc), that may solve your problem. You will need to check what file formats FTST will accept.

A somewhat cumbersome work around would be to print your TreeDraw files, scan them, and run the scans through an OCR program which will produce a text file. Again, like scanning and OCR'ing a book page to get a text file that can be used in a word processor. On the up side, if you have a scanner, it probably came with an OCR program. Every scanner I've ever bought has had one. If it dosn't, you should be able to buy a stand alone program.