alpalmer

Gedcom from filtered list

I know there is an easy way to do this but I can't figure it out. A relative would like a gedcom of my data for a common ancestor. I have gone into explorer and filtered for "is ancestor/descendant" of our common ancestor. Got a nice list of everyone in my database who is a descendant. How do I save that list as a distinct entity that I can then export as a gedcom? Or am I going about this in the wrong way? Thanks in advance.

You are doing exactly the right thing and are 90% of the way done. :rolleyes: First, "select" all these filtered people on the Project Explorer by clicking on the first person, then scrolling down to the end and Shift-Click on the last. Now just export these people to GEDCOM. On the File menu, choose Export. Follow the instructions of the Wizard and in "Step 4: Export what people" there is an option to choose the "selected" people on the Project Explorer. Couldn't be easier.

I hope you understand that GEDCOM is very limited in what it can hold. You will lose quite a bit of information by exporting to GEDCOM. However, if that is all the person can handle, then that is what you must do. Generally I choose to also print a report of all these people to a file and send that file along with the GEDCOM.

Hope this gives you ideas,

I know there is an easy way to do this but I can't figure it out. A relative would like a gedcom of my data for a common ancestor. I have gone into explorer and filtered for "is ancestor/descendant" of our common ancestor. Got a nice list of everyone in my database who is a descendant. How do I save that list as a distinct entity that I can then export as a gedcom? Or am I going about this in the wrong way? Thanks in advance.

Michael's answer is right on target in answering your question. His suggestions are worth following.

One day, you might decide that you want to also include aunts, uncles and spouses of descendants, etc. You might find that Focus Groups are more direct and easier to work than filtered lists. You can make several passes adding to your Focus Group until you have gathered a list of all of the people that you want. Just one pass is often enough. Your named Focus Group can then directly supply the list of people for your GEDCOM or a separate TMG dataset export.

There are several good topics in this forum and Terry's site dealing with the details of making Focus Groups and exports. With a little experimentation, you may not need them.

You can thoroughly check your exported data by importing or restoring that data into a separate TMG dataset, no matter how it was created.

Good luck,

Thanks to both for the great suggestions. The relative has asked for Gedcom, so that was why I was moving in that direction. Thanks again.