mscole

Read Only Copy of Project

Can anyone suggest how I can go about creating a read only copy of my project which includes everything in the project and exhibits, that i can then give to a relative and they will be able to view it without my registered copy of the program.

Many thanks

Michael

Michael,

By far the best way, in my view, is to use Second Site to create a website from your project. You can then copy that site to a CD and send it to them, or even post it on a website if you prefer. Your readers can view the data much more comfortably in that format, with any web browser, then they can in TMG's sceens.

In addition to Terry's suggestion -

- If this is a short-term arrangement, your relative could download the 30-day free trial of TMG and view your entire project that way.

- John Cardinal's free program 'On This Day' includes a read-only browser 'Mocakebi' for TMG person data; it does not include exhibits or sources however. Download the program here.

- Suggest they buy Family Tree Super Tools (@$18), and be able to browse all your data including sources and exhibits - plus make beautiful charts with his/her own program or with TMG (FTST uses Visual Chartform, same as TMG) .

Virginia

Having received data from someone by use of another program's "reader" I would strongly recommend against trying to share your data with relatives by the use of TMG's trial mode or Family Tree Super Tools. Genealogy programs are meant to facilitate the entry, analysis, and output of data - they are not reader-friendly to a novice. Trying to force your relative to learn where to find the data contained in various tags and display screens seems to me like a very good way to get them to give up before they even start.

Unless you suspect your relative will be interested in taking up genealogy and using a genealogy program, I strongly recommend sharing the data in a form designed for easy reading, like TMG's reports in printed or pdf format, or a website.

If you really want to show them the raw data, Mocabeki will display it in a much simpler format than TMG's screens, and is read-only. As Virgina says, it does not display exhibits, nor sources, though it does display the citation information include the Source Abbreviation and contents of the Citation Detail field. It is a neat little program, and worth exploring if you don't want to create a website.