Robert Jacobs

PDF printer won't install

My machine is running Windows 7 Ultimate, x64. I have tried six ways to Sunday to install the TMG PDF printer without success.

When I attempt to install it error messages appear saying, in effect, that the system can't find specified files, among them acfpdf.dll, and XMLparser.dll. I certainly never get to the point, suggested by Jim Byram, of adding a dummy port to the driver as the driver object never appears.

I have deleted the Quicken PDF driver from my system, reinstalled TMG 7.04, and searched for the two files listed above without success.

I'll be most grateful for any suggestions.

formerprof

You need to do two things.

1) Permanently install the PDF printer driver.

File / Printer Setup... / [install PDF printer]

2) Set up a dummy port for the PDF printer driver as I've described here.

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=41699

However, that doesn't work for me. I can only output to PDF by running TMG as administrator. This isn't an acceptable solution, of course.

The word processor library replacement also includes a new PDF printer driver. Hopefully, this will resolve the Win7 issue. I just don't know yet.

You need to do two things.

1) Permanently install the PDF printer driver.

File / Printer Setup... / [install PDF printer]

2) Set up a dummy port for the PDF printer driver as I've described here.

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...ost&p=41699

However, that doesn't work for me. I can only output to PDF by running TMG as administrator. This isn't an acceptable solution, of course.

The word processor library replacement also includes a new PDF printer driver. Hopefully, this will resolve the Win7 issue. I just don't know yet.

I guess I wasn't clear enough. It's step 1 I'm choking on. The PDF printer driver won't install either running as administrator or otherwise.

formerprof

It installs just fine for me. Don't know what to say.

Are you running the RC or the release? I'm still running the RC.

Dear Jim,

It's the release, straight from Redmond to me via TechNet. One of the things that bothers me is that for some reason I can't find the files that TMG is supposed to use for the PDF installation -- or at least they don't show up on a search of C:\. My data files are on D:; here is my data_paths.txt file:

[Robert Jacobs]

SharedProgramData=C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

UserProgramData=D:\TMG\UserProgramData

UserData=D:\TMG\

Do you think this non-standard organization might have anything to do with the problem?

Thanks for your help -- all good wishes.

formerprof

One of the things that bothers me is that for some reason I can't find the files that TMG is supposed to use for the PDF installation...

What files are you referring to?

The PDF driver files are in the rrw folder in the program folder.

. . .

The PDF driver files are in the rrw folder in the program folder.

Dear Jim,

That's the clue I needed! The Amyuni files are compressed or whatever in the *RRW files. No wonder I couldn't find them. Now I'm up & running -- but the procedure was a little convoluted:

1. With TMG closed, run pdfinstall from inside the rrw subdirectory. That establishes an Amyuni printer object. Ignore.

2. Open TMG and run the normal pdf install procedure. Now the Wholly Genes driver installs properly.

3. Delete the Amyuni object.

4. Establish the dummy port in the Wholly Genes printer object as per your earlier instructions.

5. Bask in the newly established report ability.

6. Despite temptation don't whine about the length of time it's taking for WG to get this whole printing process fixed for 64-bit machines.

Many thanks for your help -- I hope that anyone else using Win 7 x64 who has the same problem will be able to use this procedure.

formerprof

Anybody help!

I cannot output a report to a PDF.

I followed formerprof's wonderful directions for getting a PDF printer installed and it worked great...except that now I get an error -30 Printer not activated.

In the printer folder, if I select print properties for the PDF printer, I get the same message and an Amyuni screen that wants a license to and an activation code (neither of which I have).

I'm running the latest ver 7. Any ideas?

Anybody help!

I cannot output a report to a PDF.

I followed formerprof's wonderful directions for getting a PDF printer installed and it worked great...except that now I get an error -30 Printer not activated.

In the printer folder, if I select print properties for the PDF printer, I get the same message and an Amyuni screen that wants a license to and an activation code (neither of which I have).

I'm running the latest ver 7. Any ideas?

Dear Penny,

Since I haven't experienced your problem I probably can't help. But one thing to check would be to see if there are any other pdf printer drivers installed on your machine. Quicken (and I think Quickbooks) install such a driver. If there is one present you should uninstall the printer object and then reinstall the TMG pdf driver from inside TMG. After that reinstalling Quicken (or whatever) will restore the original driver and they should both work.

All good wishes -- and good luck with the printer problem.

formerprof

subsequently: in my step three I said "delete" the Amyuni object. It may be more accurate to say "uninstall" it. I don't recollect the precise term that Win 7 used. It's done from inside the \Control Panel\Devices & Printers folder. Now that I think a bit more on the problem you've described it may be that the first Amyuni driver didn't get fully uninstalled.

java script:add_smilie(":)","smid_13")

Edited by formerprof

formerprof,

I finally understand your method and will write up a simplified step-by-step procedure to get the PDF printer working under Win7 x64.

Many thanks for figuring this out. The fundamental issue is an operating system compatibility issue with the printer driver.

Jim

formerprof,

I finally understand your method and will write up a simplified step-by-step procedure to get the PDF printer working under Win7 x64.

Many thanks for figuring this out. The fundamental issue is an operating system compatibility issue with the printer driver.

Jim

Dear Jim,

I've just read your pinned instructions for the Win7 x64 installation of the PDF printer driver. They're nice & clear -- substantially improved from my earlier suggestions. Nice job!

Like many others I'm hoping for a rapid release of v.8 which will end this hacking about to take advantage of the printing features of TMG. It does seem to be taking a long time, especially since the printer problem with 64-bit systems has been known since within a week or two of the release of version 7.

Again, nice work -- all good wishes.

formerprof

I followed formerprof's instructions but still get missing file errors when I try to run pdfinstall from the rrw directory.

I think for now I'll just output to ASCII text files instead of wasting any more time on this.