Trondtor

Not able to start TMG v7

I have relocated my catalog "The Master Genealogist". After that I am not able to start TMG. First getting error the weard message "qqqq qqqq" with reply options Yes and No. Then getting message "File is in use 16 CUSPCKMANAGER.MRENAMEFLT" with three options: Abort, retry or ignore. Only Abort is responding. When trying to do anything I get the message "Array dimensions are invalid". No buttons to select. Not able to exit TMG, must kill by task manager. Also tried to restore a backup with the same result.

Any ideas what I should do?

Edited by Trondtor

Moving was moving the files to Zumodrive but keeping the structure within the TMG folder. Running Vista Home Premium SP2.

Edited by Trondtor

My intention was to have all, so all are moved.

During initialization TMG seems to configure some files in the 'old' path (folders) and I am not able to re-config to point to new paths.

Error.txt in LOG files:

28-09-09, 18:01:55 3File is in use. 16 CUSPCKMANAGER.MRENAMEFLT

28-09-09, 18:02:58 3File is in use. 16 CUSPCKMANAGER.MRENAMEFLT

28-09-09, 18:02:58 3File is in use. 16 CUSPCKMANAGER.MRENAMEFLT

28-09-09, 18:02:59 3File is in use. 16 CUSPCKMANAGER.MRENAMEFLT

28-09-09, 18:02:59 3File is in use. 16 CUSPCKMANAGER.MRENAMEFLT

28-09-09, 18:03:00 3File is in use. 16 CUSPCKMANAGER.MRENAMEFLT

28-09-09, 18:03:01 3File is in use. 16 CUSPCKMANAGER.MRENAMEFLT

28-09-09, 18:05:39 3File is in use. 16 CUSPCKMANAGER.MRENAMEFLT

Edited by Trondtor

With most sophisticated Windows programs, the location of files associated with the program is set as part of initialization. Simply moving program files to different folders seldom works for such programs, and is certainly true for TMG. Just moving TMG's program files will not work, as you have discovered.

If you really want to put the TMG program files there, you will need to review the TMG Help discussion about "Data File Storage". Then check out the continued discussion using the link at the bottom of that Help page to review "Data File Storage for Advanced Users". Finally, look at the further instructions in the link on that page to "Customizing Data File Storage for Advanced Users".

The bottom line is that if you are wanting your files in such a non-standard location (i.e. not in the normal system areas on your own computer) you must tell TMG where you want all the files as part of the Installation of TMG. The above Help topics describe special instructions to create a special file which identifies where you want TMG program and data files. You will then need to re-install TMG in a manner where it will look at that instruction file so that it will put the files in these non-standard locations, and set up all the necessary links. As the Help files warn, this should be done only by Advanced users who understand Windows file systems and Installation issues.

What are you really trying to accomplish? Maybe there is an easier way to do what you want?

Thanks for your feedback. To take the last first: What I am trying to accomplish is to share the files between my normal desktop and a laptop. Usually I use my desktop to maintain and update data in my database. From time to time I go to library or other institutions having source material. So when I get new information out of my research I have today put it on paper and update the database when returned home. If I could access the data directly from my laptop sitting researching it would be more convenient. I could of course set up a server to do that but probably I had the same problem after moving the data to the server.

So to the first part. I appreciate your tips and I have looked deeper into that. I selected the metod with data_paths.txt file. I created such file according to the instruction, I included ONLY path for the User Data path. I also deleted the "The Master Genealogist v7" folder from z:\Documents (my zumodrive). Then I restarted TMG v7. All worked fine, I selected "Import a GED file" when starting up. The file was imported and I was asked if I wanted to see the log (for any errors) from the import. The log out was presented and I also noticed that TMG did some more configurations.

Then I got the same message again; ErrorMarker: File is in use. 16 CUSPCKMANAGER.MRENAMEFLT.