Daryl Edmonds

Descendant Box Chart

Can I produce a Descendant Box Chart of only two or three generations and, if so, how? I want to produce a chart for a forthcoming family reunion but it is a large family with 800-900 people in 7 generations.

What I would like to do is put out a chart for the first 2 generations and then individual descendant charts for for the children of the 20 of the third generation who had offspring. How do I go about doing that? There doesn't seem to be an option to use a Focus Group.

Can I produce a Descendant Box Chart of only two or three generations and, if so, how? I want to produce a chart for a forthcoming family reunion but it is a large family with 800-900 people in 7 generations.

Daryl,

on the report definition screen of the descendant box chart report select the person with whom your descendant chart should start.

Click on "Options.."

On the tab "Chart Style" under "Chart size" define the "Max # of generations" for the Chart size.

Hope that's what you are looking for.

Daryl,

Use the ability to create a chart filtered on a value of a custom flag. It is best to create a flag Y/N for each chart that you want. You can collect these persons from a focus group and then use the secondary output of the List of People to do this. I advise using a separate flag for each chart. That way you can have the linking persons between charts showing on both the upper and loer charts. It can be done with a single multi-value custom flag but you need to change the flag values for the persons that link the charts together between chart construction runs.

Beware of charts that use UK style marriage links and have some cases where there is an unknown parent (un-entered) as under this filtering option these can create larger than desirable gaps in the chart.

Robin