Marlyn R. Lewis

Finding Records by Source

I'm trying to clean up my database. Some of my sources (as they transferred over from another program) cite multiple sources, instead of only one. I want to separate them into multiple sources and delete the single source (that isn't really a single source). The Master Source list tells me that I have (for example) 4 records which contain this multi-source citation. How do I drill down (or create a report) that will tell me which record (person number) that source has been cited in, so I can fix it? I know how to add and delete sources, just not how to drill down to the record where that source is cited.

I'm sure this topic has already been covered many times, so I apologize for taking up more bandwidth to rehash the same topic.

Thanks.

I'm trying to clean up my database. Some of my sources (as they transferred over from another program) cite multiple sources, instead of only one. I want to separate them into multiple sources and delete the single source (that isn't really a single source). The Master Source list tells me that I have (for example) 4 records which contain this multi-source citation. How do I drill down (or create a report) that will tell me which record (person number) that source has been cited in, so I can fix it? I know how to add and delete sources, just not how to drill down to the record where that source is cited.

I'm sure this topic has already been covered many times, so I apologize for taking up more bandwidth to rehash the same topic.

Thanks.

List of Citations:

Filter: Source No. Equals [?]

When ran it will ask for the souce no. to be entered....

This will give a list of everywhere that the source is cited....

I can manually enter the number each time but I can't get it to ask me the source number. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

List of Citations:

Filter: Source No. Equals [?]

When ran it will ask for the souce no. to be entered....

This will give a list of everywhere that the source is cited....

Hi Cheryl,

Maybe this will be clearer. On the Report Definition Screen you specify a Filtered group, and the Filter has the following values in the fields:

Field: Source Number

Operator: = Equals

Value: [?]

Note that there must be exactly three characters in the Value field, the left and right brackets and the question mark.

When you Create the report it should pop up a window for you to Fill in the blank field with the desired source number.

Does this help?

Marlyn -

The filter you needed (citations for a specific source) is included with the Sample project in TMG. Filters are specific to a project and are stored with that project, but using Windows Explorer you can copy the very useful 50 or so filters from the Sample project to your own projects. TMG filters and a list of those in the Sample project are explained on pages 6 and 7 of my article here.

Virginia