Wiley

Alternate entry suggestions?

I have some 13 printed reports from my family association that go back to 1978 that I want get into TMG. The TMG file is complete (mostly) up to about 1984.

I have a scanner and OCR program that I can use to produce either a .csv file which I can then use to build a spreadsheet or just a .txt file. Adding the RIN#'s to link to the TMG record and tag types would be no problem and not nearly as time consuming as manualy entering all the data (BMD and residence's as of the report year.) A spreadsheet would be prefferable due to the format and editing ease.

I know that TMG will import from most genealogy programs but I have not seen a plain text or spreadsheet import. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I have some 13 printed reports from my family association that go back to 1978 that I want get into TMG. The TMG file is complete (mostly) up to about 1984.

I have a scanner and OCR program that I can use to produce either a .csv file which I can then use to build a spreadsheet or just a .txt file. Adding the RIN#'s to link to the TMG record and tag types would be no problem and not nearly as time consuming as manualy entering all the data (BMD and residence's as of the report year.) A spreadsheet would be prefferable due to the format and editing ease.

I know that TMG will import from most genealogy programs but I have not seen a plain text or spreadsheet import. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Once upon a time there was a program Excel2Ged- I don't know how well it worked, if at all. I doubt is has been upgraded in years.

If you can get it into csv format you could add columns to add teh gedcom coding for that individual and them mailmerge to created a gedcom... but it would be of unlinked individuals. You would then have to fgo into TMG and link everyone.

Either way is a lot of work but I'd go for manuel entry so I could add sources, etc. at the same time.

While I would recommend adding the data manually to ensure you create all the necessary tags and citations, you might want to look at the TMG Utility. Its "Add Events" feature, described here, which uses a structured text file, may provide the importation of events you desire. This feature will only add one type of event at a time. Further the tag types with desired roles, the people to be linked to as Principals and Witnesses, and sources to be cited all must already exist in the dataset prior to using the Utility to add the events.

Hope this gives you ideas.

I suggest you have a look at SmartGenealogy as it can convert information from a spreadsheet and convert it to the GEDCOM format to be imported into TMG.

Thanks all. The point about manually entering is well taken and I will be entering new people just that way. I just was not looking forward to entering hundreds of 'residence' tags.

Michael, thanks for the reminder about the utilities. (There are days that I should change my name to 'Oblivious'.) With frequent backups and starting off with just a few records, I should be fine.

When inputting new family groups, using "copy tag" and "copy person" features (from the "add" menu) shortens the process considerably. Good luck!

Linda

I agree with Linda. Especially if you set custom Flags for people as you add them, or add different content in the CD of various tags, using the Copy Person function helps a lot. After copying, change the name and birth information, and anything else specific to the new person. I find it useful to add the Copy Person function to a button on my custom toolbar to make it even easier to access.

I also just added the Copy Tag function to my custom toolbar. If you want to add the same tag to a second person, copy the tag, then change the ID# of the Principal(s) and it is then moved to that person(s). This is expecially easy if the second person is a child or sibling (or spouse of one of them) because the ID# of that person is displayed in the Children or Siblings window.