beetle3247

I've about had it with TMG v7

Three times since I got a new computer running Windows Vista 64bit the computer has crashed when I had TMG v7 open. The monitors start flashing and then I get an error concerning the monitor driver(s) and then it shuts down. When it reboots (on its own) it has a disk error message and I have to manually start it up. Then it goes through a CHKDSK procedure and finds nothing wrong. I've run all sorts of virus scans and nothing is present. This only happens when I have TMG open. Yes, I know TMG v7 does not save Word documents under 64bit, but I've gotten around that so far. If Whollygenes cannot get a new version soon that will run under the 64bit operating system (and Windows 7 is due out next week) then I will have to go to something else; I can't have that happening. I don't want to change because I like TMG, but .... Anyone have any suggestions?

I have run TMG7 under WinVista 64-bit for several years and now under Win7 64-bit all this year and have never had such a crash. Have no idea what the issue is on your system.

Can you recall what you were doing in TMG when the computer crashed or are you saying that just having TMG open at the time seems to precipitate the crash?

Since the error message concerns monitor driver(s), if you have multiple monitors you might try reversing your setting in Preferences / Program Options / Other . . . Allow multiple monitors. At least in WinXP, multiple monitors work fine whether that is checked or not.

Virginia

I'm not entirely sure what I was doing, but most probably I was adding individuals, or tags (i.e. birth date, census, etc.). I will attempt to change the monitor settings under preferences and see if that solves it, but I'm kind of gun-shy at the moment, even opening TMG. This doesn't happen every time I use it and I've run the optimization, etc. to fix any problems associated with the data with no errors popping up.

I'm not entirely sure what I was doing, but most probably I was adding individuals, or tags (i.e. birth date, census, etc.). I will attempt to change the monitor settings under preferences and see if that solves it, but I'm kind of gun-shy at the moment, even opening TMG. This doesn't happen every time I use it and I've run the optimization, etc. to fix any problems associated with the data with no errors popping up.

My experiene with Vista 64 and Win 7 64 is the same as Jim Byram's -- no problems (except for the 64-bit report limitation). Your problem sounds to me like a device driver or -- Heaven forfend -- hardware problem. If the machine crashes again if you can catch the exact error message someone may be able to help.

formerprof

It sounds like you are describing a Microsoft error message, but if it is from VFP9 those error messages are recorded in vfp9rerr.log which - in WinVista - is located in the VirtualStore.

TMG error messages are recorded in error.txt located in the Logs folder in your user data tree.

When it happens again, make a note of what you were doing - for example changing focus to another person - and the steps you used.

Virginia

Just an independent comment about Vista 64.

My son's I7/6GbRAM machine (no TMG) has had this kind of timing problem since some Microsoft Windows updates over the last 2 months. Unfortunately, we can't detect the particular update as the problem seems to have got progressively worse over time, suggesting that some change is making some action to take longer and longer to perform until the concurrent combination of actions means that a vital event response is lost. Hence the error. The MS message blames the video drivers, but that does not fit well with other web sources (particularly gaming sites and other manufacturer's sites that have seen an increase in this problem). Some "fix" has broken V64. Unfortunately MS has been too hasty to release some changes that have been shown to break even MS's own software (eg the Help system). The occurrence of the problem doesn't seem to be application related. The machine even does it when only screen-based application is FreeCell! My computer supplier/repairer has said that he has seen this on other V64 machines.

Later this month we are going to rebuilt my son's machine with W7 as the best way to start again hopefully without the same consequences.

My Vista 64bit PC that I bought several months ago crashes periodically too. I haven't had it happen in TMG yet. I think it's just a cooincidence that it happens when you are in TMG.

I changed the Preferences setting last night to two monitors, but didn't have a chance to test it out. I'm not sure what affect that really has. In fact, the crash didn't happen every time I had TMG open, so I don't know if that preference change would affect it. I will say that I have had the machine running almost 24 hours/day for the last week and the crash only happens when I have TMG open - no other application seems to drive the error.

I had another crash last night when TMG was NOT running. Since it is a new machine I took it back to where I bought it (BestBuy) and their Geek Squad found that the error messages refered to Norton AnitVirus which I thought I had removed. Their software found some lingering components of it and they removed all traces. Not sure if this will fix the problem but if it does I owe an apology to WhollyGenes for my comments prior to this.