rlgleason51

TMG Install with windows 7

Thanks.

Another question: Has anyone tried running TMG on win7 in XP Mode? If so, has that solved the issues TMG has with 64bit operating systems?

Sure. Win7 is just WinVista evolved and any application that ran under WinVista should run under Win7. Just install the program.

Another question: Has anyone tried running TMG on win7 in XP Mode? If so, has that solved the issues TMG has with 64bit operating systems?

Yes. TMG works beautifully in XP virtual mode under Win 7 x64. Printing to word processor files works perfectly. The only problem is that the XP virtual mode does not give full control of program placement if one is using dual monitors. If your operating habit, as mine is, is to use the secondary monitor for TMG and run everything else simultaneously on the primary monitor you'll have to either change your habits (hard when you're my age) or switch the monitors.

formerprof

Do you mind if I contact you offline? I have a couple of questions about virtual XP which I suspect will off topic for this forum. Thanks

Not at all -- try rcj_nospam_@charter.net with the appropriate elisions. I'll be happy to help if I can.

formerprof

Do you mind if I contact you offline? I have a couple of questions about virtual XP which I suspect will off topic for this forum. Thanks

Not at all -- try rcj_nospam_@charter.net with the appropriate elisions. I'll be happy to help if I can.

formerprof

Treid twice - address was rejected.

Thanks.

Sure. Win7 is just WinVista evolved and any application that ran under WinVista should run under Win7. Just install the program.

Note to anyone considering upgrading to Windows 7, and are tempted by virtualized Windows XP mode.

This mode is NOT available in Windows 7 Home Premium edition. Other versions of 7, you may be puzzled if you find it isn't there, you have to download it from Microsoft. It will involve 2 downloads

i) The XP mode software

ii) Windows Virtual PC

Go here:- Windows 7 Virual PC and click the big Orange button!

Edited by Neil Grantham

Also your PC's CPU needs to support "AMD-V or Intel VT" to to run Windows 7 Virtual PC

Which you can check by going here and downloading the "Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool"

This is no longer true.

Microsoft has updated Windows Virtual PC with a third Windows XP Mode update that removes this requirement.

Official announcement from the "Windows 7 Team Blog - The Windows Blog:" Windows XP Mode now accessible to more PCs

You need to check to see if your computer's hardware will support virtualisation. My relatively new Dell (9 months) will not, which has stymied my plans for Win 7 64 bit.

John Heckels

Do I understand from this thread, that TMG 7 runs on Windows 7?

I intend to get windows 7, Professional.

Based on what I read, I can run TMG7 on Professional in 2 modes?

Just run on win7, OR, I can run it if I want in virtual XP mode?

Do I understand this correctly?

I appreciate your help.

Debbie P.

Yes. :)

TMG7 runs fine on Windows 7, just like in it does on Windows Vista. The report output to word processor does not work in 64-bit Windows, either Windows 7 or Vista.

In 64-bit Windows 7 you can install TMG7 in XP Mode (if you have Professional or one of the other versions Windows 7 that support that feature) instead of or in addition to installing it directly in Windows 7. The report output to word processors does work when installed in XP Mode on a Windows 7 64-bit system.

There is more on the use of XP Mode in a recent post I made to TMG-L.

TMG7 runs fine on Windows 7, just like in it does on Windows Vista. The report output to word processor does not work in 64-bit Windows, either Windows 7 or Vista.

In 64-bit Windows 7 you can install TMG7 in XP Mode (if you have Professional or one of the other versions Windows 7 that support that feature) instead of or in addition to installing it directly in Windows 7. The report output to word processors does work when installed in XP Mode on a Windows 7 64-bit system.

Great, thank you for the speedy reply. So straight windows 7 if we don't care about output to a word processor, and virtual mode if we do.

Thanks again.

Debbie P.

I am trying to save a pedigree file as a pdf, to send to relatives as a Christmas card. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. Can I do this? Or what would I need to do to be able to do this - like upgrade to Windows Professional?

Thanks.

Since you have provided so little information, it's difficult to respond.

I just created a pedigree report to PDF under Win7 x64 with no problem and could do the same under Win7.

You are running TMG v7.04?

You are running Win7 (32-bit) or Win7 x64 (64-bit)?

Which report are you running?

What report options are you using?

What specific problems are you having.

Sorry. I am running Win7 x64 with TMG v7.04. I tried running the pedigree report, saving to file as Acrobat [pdf]. TMG creates the charts, but then I get error "Printer not activated, error code -20".

The "Help-Check for an update" does not work under V7-64bit. I get an error – "No application in …TMG… is associated with the update engine .."

Randy R.