mairicam

Losing Focus and vcf problem

At irregular intervals my project loses its focus. It sometimes happens when entering data that the details window shows one person, but the tag entry box shows another. If I don't notice it in time it saves the new information for the wrong person. Usually when the tag entry window closes, I have one person in the top half of the windows (i.e. detail, image, flags, associates), but another person in the bottom half (i.e. siblings and children). It is random and maintenance does not solve it. Today it also showed the same behaviour when I closed the details window and opened it again. In this case it only showed the different person in the details window, but left all the other windows with the original person. I assume that the project is somehow corrupted.

also

since a recent re-install of everything (OS and all software) I can't create any vcf reports. Vcf is installed, and I can open it and look at previously created reports, but when I want to create a descendant chart for example it lets me select all the options, but when I click on create chart, the report definition screen closes but nothings happens. Can this be resolved without reinstalling tmg.

Thanks for your help.

Marianne

Marianne -

If you are losing focus when working from a filtered PE or Picklist, save the filtered list to a Focus Group and use that to change focus.

In Preferences / Current Project Options / Advanced, check that your location settings are correct for the new OS, specifically for your Configuration files and Report output - which include the VCF files.

Virginia

If you are losing focus when working from a filtered PE or Picklist, save the filtered list to a Focus Group and use that to change focus.

In Preferences / Current Project Options / Advanced, check that your location settings are correct for the new OS, specifically for your Configuration files and Report output - which include the VCF files.

I am working from a normal picklist so that is not the problem, and the locations in preferences are all pointing to the correct places.

If I re-install TMG is it better to uninstall first or can I install it over the current installation?

For the focus problem, if you are using the Expanded Picklist, try the Simple Picklist.

Re VCF, are you using the default locations for your data (see Data File Storage in Help) with the new operating system so your data is not in the restricted program files location?

Virginia

At irregular intervals my project loses its focus. It sometimes happens when entering data that the details window shows one person, but the tag entry box shows another. If I don't notice it in time it saves the new information for the wrong person. Usually when the tag entry window closes, I have one person in the top half of the windows (i.e. detail, image, flags, associates), but another person in the bottom half (i.e. siblings and children). It is random and maintenance does not solve it. Today it also showed the same behaviour when I closed the details window and opened it again. In this case it only showed the different person in the details window, but left all the other windows with the original person. I assume that the project is somehow corrupted.

also

since a recent re-install of everything (OS and all software) I can't create any vcf reports. Vcf is installed, and I can open it and look at previously created reports, but when I want to create a descendant chart for example it lets me select all the options, but when I click on create chart, the report definition screen closes but nothings happens. Can this be resolved without reinstalling tmg.

Thanks for your help.

Marianne

Marianne,

I get the same all the time (=while adding people after about every 10). Quick help is to close TMG and start again.

I have assumed it is because I have "Project explorer linked to other windows".

And somehow this link is not allways updated. If I select person from Project explorer, correct person comes up in individual window. But sometimes not wise versa ie. f.ex. selecting father from individual window does not select that father in Project explorer.

And if I now click "add tag", it goes to wrong person. So the person I have open, is not the one tag is added to.

I use Project exploror with birth day order.

Peter

Btw. Sort of the same happens somehow in main place list. The one I open and edit is not updated but the previous place on the list ????

For the focus problem, if you are using the Expanded Picklist, try the Simple Picklist.

Re VCF, are you using the default locations for your data (see Data File Storage in Help) with the new operating system so your data is not in the restricted program files location?

Virginia

Okay will try the simple picklist, but as the behaviour is erratic may not be able to report if that improves things quickly. Maybe I should mention that when I am using the expanded picklist, it is very slow to jump from one person to the next, i.e. if I enter the beginning of a name is takes a few seconds to jump from one to the next match, and sometimes even jumps back to where I started from. Because of this I usually use F2 to find people.

Re VCF: I have a partitioned harddrive and have TMG installed on the C partition and the data is on the D partition. This is the same way as it was before the re-installation, but I think that on the earlier installation I installed ver 7.00 and then upgraded to ver 7.04, while this time I installed ver 7.04 directly. I use the UK Gold version, and the OS is Win XP. Other reports are created normally, it's just the vcf ones that don't create anything.

Marianne

If you are using the expanded picklist accented for a condition rather than a Flag, that will slow things down considerably as TMG has to compute the condition each time you change focus. Using a Flag set for that condition is preferable.

I don't know why VCF is not opening the created charts. You might try searching your computer for the new *.vc2 files and see if the charts are being generated and where they are. The chart configuration files (*.vcc) are stored with other report configurations in Configuration_files, and you say that location is correct in Preferences and working for other reports.

Virginia

Virginia

VCF problem solved, it was the firewall that stopped it somehow - although the vfp9r.dll was "allowed" the firewall had something in its memory that still stopped the execution of the charts. I deleted that entry and all's well.

Marianne

Peter -

I use the Focus Group almost exclusively and have never had the problem. There does appear to be more opportunity for focus loss when using the linked PE.

Virginia

Virginia,

just wanna let you know.

After this discussion I turned OFF "Link project explorer to other windows".

And have NOT seen this "out of sync" problem anymore. (100's of people and tags added)

So, surely this "out of sync" issue has something to do with this linking.

I will not turn it on again, but it is a feature I liked to use.

Peter