ChristelleJvR

Entering unnamed (not unknown) child

According to family records (a beautiful handwritten family tree by my great-grandmother), my great-grandparents had two children that both died a couple of days (1 day and 2 days for the other) after they where born. I have the dates, as well as full funeral information (witnesses, dates, etc) for these babies. They are however only listed as "seun, sterf ongedoop" which translates as "son, died without being named (christened)".

What would be the best way to add these babies to my records?

I do not want to give them no names, because that is how I treat people where I do not know who they were (or have only a surname), and I want those to show as "unknown" in my database. But I know these babies were not given names, so they are not "unknown". :unsure:

I am sure my family can't be unique...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Christelle

According to family records (a beautiful handwritten family tree by my great-grandmother), my great-grandparents had two children that both died a couple of days (1 day and 2 days for the other) after they where born. I have the dates, as well as full funeral information (witnesses, dates, etc) for these babies. They are however only listed as "seun, sterf ongedoop" which translates as "son, died without being named (christened)".

I do not want to give them no names, because that is how I treat people where I do not know who they were (or have only a surname), and I want those to show as "unknown" in my database. But I know these babies were not given names, so they are not "unknown". :unsure:

Christelle

There are several such misfortunes in my family. I use the family name and "Infant" if the sex is unknown and Baby Boy" or "Baby Girl" for given names.

formerprof

formerprof

I enter these children as

Surname, Boy (unnamed)

Surname, Girl (unnamed)

Surname, Child (unnamed)

Marianne

Christelle

I give them "Unnamed" as a given name and a note that they died before being named, I agree with you that they are a different class than "unknown". Unknown might or might not have been named but you know for a fact that these actually had no name.

Thanks so much for these replies.

I think I will go with "Surname, Unnamed" or "Surname, Unnamed (Boy)" and its variants as well.

Does anybody have good custom sentences for the birth and death tags of these children to share?

Christelle