pktropics

TMG crashes when optimizing

I've had the following problem for about 12 months now: Frequently when I run "optimize" the program crashes, with an error message such as the one I received today: "Alias 'FILE-NPT' is not found. 617 REINDEXDATASETS". Retry and Ignore only draw more of these errors. Abort closes the program, and then when I try to re-open the database, I get a message such as "Program is open elsewhere at this time" (but its not!), or (as happened today) "An error happened when opening the data tables ..... File c:\ ....\[project filename].dbf not found" Kaput.

This has happened so often now that I always back-up before optimizing. Sometimes if I validate the file first, then optimize, it manages to do it without spitting the dummy, but not always. My solution has been to avoid re-indexing or optimizing in order to avoid the hassle of having to restore every time; but today I lapsed back into good practice and, after performing a 'merge' of two projects, did as the program instructed me (ie optimized) only to potentially lose the lot! Any ideas out there?

pktropics

pktropics

I have had a similar issue since late last week which I assumed was something to do with Windows 7 64 bit. I have reported the issue to Wholly Genes Support but they wouldn't yet have had much US work time to look at it since I contacted them.

The quick fix is to close TMG and delete the index files in your project folder (*.CDX - 29 files I think). When you start TMG up you will be okay for a while.

My issue is occurring when I try and update a focus group from within the project explorer with a filter on. I have now been able to replicate it 5 times.

Neil

Mine happens any old time! I first noticed it after merging projects, but this may have been only because those were mostly the times I optimised. Although, because I now avoid optimising, this may still be the ultimate trigger, simply delayed till the next time I try it (as I did this morning). I am using Vista on a 32 bit system. I have today also re-installed TMG, though I think I may have already tried this in the past. I haven't tried optimising again since re-installing - mainly because I don't want to lose any more time restoring, etc if the problem is still there!

Could you report back on what TMG support has to say.

Cheers

pktropics