Mike Talbot

VCF Customized Composite Charts

It's not too early to plan a VCF genealogy chart to attach to family Christmas presents. A VCF chart can serve as a present to those whom you usually just send a card or e-mail, also.

Family related genealogy charts are enjoyed by all and appreciated by most. Importing a few photos and adding some supporting text enhances the value of any VCF chart.

The attached example chart was picked for its diverse complexity and is 8.5 x 31 inches. It is a Yours/Mine/Ours descendants chart with a line of descent thrown in. It is a composite of two standard VCF descendant charts and two ancestor charts, and took a bit over two hours to construct.

Sure, you could construct it from one huge standard hourglass chart. But, a composite of multiple smaller charts is far, far easier to do.

For details of the techniques involved in constructing and coloring composite charts and moving the components to where you want them, see previous posts by Virginia, Robin and me on this forum.

The attached example chart is intended to show many possibilities. A chart of this complexity is not recommended for a "maiden voyage" in VCF custom editing.

If you keep (or move components to fit) your charts down to letter size or legal size paper, placing one or two-back-to-back charts in transparent sheet protectors is a nice touch. You can also e-mail any reasonably sized chart (export to JPG format recommended).

Best wishes,

post-1983-1257268118_thumb.jpg

There seems to be a new problem with the attachment viewer for this forum (or is it me?). It displays the image, nicely, then immediately does a “zoom to fit” on the display page.

An icon at the lower right of the page allows one to see the zoomed image at 200% (too small) or 400% (too big).

Is there a way to defeat the new “zoom to fit” undesirable feature for attachments? The old way to view the attachment at actual size, and scroll around big attachments was great

Mike -

Could the viewing problem be from your browser? With Firefox I see the first screen at 22%, then hover over the chart and get the magnifying glass icon which enlarges the chart to a reasonable legible size that is scrollable.

It's a beautiful chart - really a work of art.

Thank you for sharing.

Virginia

Mike -

Could the viewing problem be from your browser? With Firefox I see the first screen at 22%, then hover over the chart and get the magnifying glass icon which enlarges the chart to a reasonable legible size that is scrollable.

Thank you for sharing.

Virginia

Virginia - I experienced the same problem as Mike (forwhat it is worth). I am using IE 8 with Win7 so it might still be browser related - don't know.

Mike -

Thank you for sharing.

Virginia

Virginia - I experienced the same problem as Mike (forwhat it is worth). I am using IE 8 with Win7 so it might still be browser related - don't know.

Thanks, Virginia and rlgleason51, every idea helps. I just noticed the attachment display problem this AM.

I should have mentioned that I had to get a new computer, 4 months ago. I paid extra to get the latest version of XP to avoid the Vista fiasco. I use the latest xp version of the MS internet explorer as browser. I've clicked on every parameter, found, that claims to control the browser and can find no parameter that says it is associated with an automatic "zoom to fit" option.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction for a fix. Or, tell me that's just the way it now is, so get over it.

BTW, Virginia, the new computer, latest XP version and browser fixed the unreasonable limit on the size of attachment files that I could upload to this forum. How? It's a mystery. Thanks again for helping me to get around that in the past.

Best wishes,

I've clicked on every parameter, found, that claims to control the browser and can find no parameter that says it is associated with an automatic "zoom to fit" option.

IE 8 <_<

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Multimedia > Enable automatic image resizing - deselect

The Multimedia section is quite a way down the list so scroll down until you find it.

I've clicked on every parameter, found, that claims to control the browser and can find no parameter that says it is associated with an automatic "zoom to fit" option.

IE 8 <_<

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Multimedia > Enable automatic image resizing - deselect

The Multimedia section is quite a way down the list so scroll down until you find it.

Wow!!! So easy and worked like a champ. Big attachments look and act great, again, like on old computer.

If you ever visit in New Orleans, may I take you to lunch? No expiration date on offer.

Thank you so much,

IE 8 <_<

Wow!!! So easy and worked like a champ. Big attachments look and act great, again, like on old computer.

If you ever visit in New Orleans, may I take you to lunch? No expiration date on offer.

Thank you so much,

I echo Mike (without the lunch offer-don't live in an exotic locale). It was easy. Much thanks.

After that unexpected sidetrack, this message will complete the planned topic of holiday composite charts. There are two attached letter size charts, one simple and one of medium complexity.

Let’s start with a simple composite 5 generations ancestor chart, with added spouse. It will be made to fit on letter size paper (8.5 x 11 inches). See the first attachment. It is a composite of an ancestor and a descendant chart. The VCF work can be done in a minute (after a bit of practice).

With the ancestor chart open in VCF, zoom-to-fit, group select the 4 oldest generations, move them left, with mouse, to overlap the subject. Then group select the oldest 3 generations, move them left until the oldest generation fits the page horizontally. You will see that connector lines cross over the subject and parents boxes. Select those boxes and click on move to front, the boxes will now cover the lines.

Then, open the descendant chart, select and copy the spouse box.

Return to the ancestor chart and paste the spouse, then move it to the desired location. Then import the two external pictures and trim the chart. Your minute is up. Adding explanatory text is easy, but can take as much time as you choose spend in composition. You can copy text from your TMG files and paste it into VCF text boxes. Fini.

The second attached chart is of medium complexity and will take the better part of an hour to do. It is basically the above chart with all siblings and their spouses added. In addition to moving the generations to overlap, you must also move boxes across generations to make room for the siblings and spouses to be copied from the descendant chart. Then import and position picture and enter explanatory text as per the simple chart, above.

Now place 2 completed letter size charts of your choosing, back-to-back, in a transparent plastic sheet protector and give it to your folks. Any comments or questions?

Enjoy VCF,

post-1983-1257719044_thumb.jpg

post-1983-1257719085_thumb.jpg

<snip>____________________________________________________________________

The second attached chart is of medium complexity and will take the better part of an hour to do. It is basically the above chart with all siblings and their spouses added. In addition to moving the generations to overlap, you must also move boxes across generations to make room for the siblings and spouses to be copied from the descendant chart. Then import and position picture and enter explanatory text as per the simple chart, above.

<snip>

Forgot to mention:

Where space is tight, you can easily overlap and squeeze down the size of some boxes to force them to fit. You can also edit the text within the boxes and add data not supported in standard VCF chart generation.