jhgtinker

Windows 7 - Slowdown

Hi

Just upgraded to Windows 7 (32 bit) and have found that both the "Add a witness" and "Add a citation" windows take much, much longer to view.

I have defragged the files etc with no improvement and have noticed this behaviour on both my laptop and desktop.

Has anyone else experienced this slowdown or have remedies.

thanks

John

Edited by jhgtinker

Hi John:

Hope you rec'v responses from those who have both applied the upgrade (vs clean install) and are using 32-bit.

Some time ago, I had a similar experience when I tried to upgrade from Win XP to Vista. Ultimately, MS convinced me to perform a clean install of Vista. Golly, what a difference that made, not only in running TMG but other programs, too. Since then, when the Vista Service Pack updates were installed, the PC system again seemed to slow down. In TMG, I felt the pain when opening the MSL or Picklist.

I'm now running TMG on an iMac under Fusion 3 with Win 7 64 bit Professional. I have no lag in opening the MSL or Picklist. I don't experience a delay in adding citation.

Once the iMac is set up and files transferred off the PC, I plan on doing a clean install of 32-bit Win 7 Professional (upgrade version) on that machine. If you haven't resolved your issue by then, I'll report back with findings.

Hope this helps. --GJ

Please don't double-post on both the mail list and the forum. The same people end up having to answer you twice.

Both have always been instantaneous for me under Win7. And doing an upgrade install or a clean install made no difference.

I agree with GJ that when you move from one OS version to another, a clean install is the best practice. That said, I've done a couple of upgrade installs with Win7 and they worked perfectly for me.

Hi John:

Hope you rec'v responses from those who have both applied the upgrade (vs clean install) and are using 32-bit.

Some time ago, I had a similar experience when I tried to upgrade from Win XP to Vista. Ultimately, MS convinced me to perform a clean install of Vista. Golly, what a difference that made, not only in running TMG but other programs, too. Since then, when the Vista Service Pack updates were installed, the PC system again seemed to slow down. In TMG, I felt the pain when opening the MSL or Picklist.

I'm now running TMG on an iMac under Fusion 3 with Win 7 64 bit Professional. I have no lag in opening the MSL or Picklist. I don't experience a delay in adding citation.

Once the iMac is set up and files transferred off the PC, I plan on doing a clean install of 32-bit Win 7 Professional (upgrade version) on that machine. If you haven't resolved your issue by then, I'll report back with findings.

Hope this helps. --GJ

Hi

thanks for your reply.

I agree about clean installs. I've always done a clean install since Windows 3 even though it takes longer to get things running you certainly get to know the inner working of the OS.

I'm clearly going to have to look more into this problem. My picklist is running just fine its only the witness and citation windows that are affected. Size of database doesn't affect it, I have 22,000 but I tried with sample_uk and still they ran slow. I didn't have any problems under Vista, 32 or 64bit, but I'll sort it out eventually.

all the best

John

Edited by jhgtinker

HI,

I am looking at an Apple laptop and want to be able to install TMG on Windows 7 operating system. Your responses concerning on the program are encouraging . I am yet to decide on using Fusion or Boot Camp set up. My concern is the how fast the program will put together a very large journal report for print out.

Boot Camp, is a dual boot setup, you will run either OS X or Windows. If you want to run both OS X and Windows simultaneously VMWare Fusion or Parallels allow you to create Virtual Machines. There are open source virtualization programs available as well.

For some of the issues involved in running TMG in a virtual machine see the thread GOTERM and other problems

Edited by ggilbert1

Hi

After many days of research and frequent false-starts I've eventually found the cause of the slowdowns. I now realise that it wasn't just TMG that was affected but also many other programs but not to the same extent.

It now means that I can judge Windows 7 much more objectively and I have to say that I'm impressed with its new features and appreciate the improvement over Vista.

The culprit by the way was Windows 7 upgrade to the Kaspersky 2010 AV program. I'm now running Microsoft Essentials until a fix is issued.

all the best

John

I am looking into getting Win 7 for my desktop but my laptop is XP. Is there a problem with TMG going back and forth from a Win 7 and an XP?

No. However, the data storage paths under the two operating systems differ.

My suggestion is to use a common storage path for your projects and exhibits on both systems and only transfer the project data and exhibits between the two systems using TMG backup and restore. Keep the customizations for each system independent and do not include them in TMG backups.