michelec

Creating a Custom Source Type (for draft registrations)

I decided to create a custom source type for the draft registrations that I have. I'm trying to follow Terry tips on this and not being very successful.

I copied the "Military Service Record - Filmed." But, I don't want all the same fields.

Military Service Record - Filmed has:

Title

Short Title

Subject

Publisher

Publisher Address

<Film>

For what I want to do, I guess Title, Short Title, and Subject are OK, but instead of Publisher, I'd like to put something like Website Name (since the registrations came from the Family Search Pilot website), URL (for the URL of the website), and Digital ID (because there were only images of the registrations and each image has a digital ID).

But, when I try to put those in, Publisher, Publisher Address, and <Film> still remain. How do I get rid of them and only have the fields I want?

In addition, I'd also like to add Date and State.

Edited by michelec

You enter the Source Elements you want to keep in their proper places in the Output Templates. That makes them appear on the General Tag.

You delete the Element you don't want from the Templates. Once you close the Source Definition Screen the unused Elements will disappear from the General tab (unless you have data in them, in which case they will remain, but not appear in any output).

Wow, Terry! I would never have guessed that that's how you do it. It worked. I've never even bothered with output sentences, so had no idea that would do anything.

Thanks AGAIN!

Michele

You're welcome, Michele.

The source system is really written in the expectation that the sources will be output in footnote, endnotes, or as a bibliography. Thus they expect when you are customizing them that you will modify the templates to a achieve the output you want. Of course you can use them only to be viewed within TMG, but to eliminate undesired Source Elements, and to add new Source Elements to Source Types, you need to modify the Templates.