jrw

Windows XP pro to Windows 7

Having been using XP pro for some time. When TMG 7 came out had to redo the paths to all my exhibits (thanks path wiz). Debating moving to windows 7. Will i need to redo all my paths again or will the same path be valid? Will path wiz handle it if it isnt valid?

jrw

Having been using XP pro for some time. When TMG 7 came out had to redo the paths to all my exhibits (thanks path wiz). Debating moving to windows 7. Will i need to redo all my paths again or will the same path be valid? Will path wiz handle it if it isnt valid?

jrw

The answer to the question is - where will you want the exhibit paths to be in WIN 7? Remember the old pics folder in the TMG program path will not be able to be used in a 'Vista' type OS.

PathWiz! will change them to wherever you want them to be. Works in WIN 7 and Vista.

HTH

Bryan

BeeSoft

jrw

The default user data directory in XP is c:\documents and settings\username\my documents. In Windows 7 it is c:\users\username.

Because I synchronize my TMG data between my laptop and desktop I've found it safest to establish a new drive or partition -- d:\ -- to hold all my data and I adjust my TMG paths accordingly. But even if you don't do that, you'll have to make an adjustment. TMG's default paths (given in the help program) for Vista are the same in Windows 7.

formerprof

Edited by formerprof

Read the 'Data File Storage' topic in help. There will be no difference between Windows 7 and Windows Vista as described in that article.

You can put your exhibits in the default folder or in any custom folder located in valid user space. Read the 'Moving Exhibits' topic in help. You might also read the 'Missing Exhibits' topic in help.

You don't need Pathwiz for any normal manipulations that you would do in TMG including updating the exhibit paths if you relocate your exhibits. Pathwiz does make a nice exhibits report that is unavailable in TMG.

Jim

I store my exhibits in about 50 folders which roughly mirror my family trees at a high level. Moving from XP to Windows 7 without Pathwiz would have been a nightmare. There is some functionality within VFI but it is very limited because you have to specify every individual folder you want it to search. If it looked at sub-folders then the problem would be solved.

That's true. TMG does not deal with exhibit trees well and was never designed to do so. You can store your data in an exhibit tree with no problem. TMG can backup that tree but can't restore it. (You can handle this outside of TMG or can drag the tree out of the backup archive file into it's target location.) And VFI is a pain to use for updating exhibit paths in a tree.

If you had moved your exhibits tree to the new system using the same path as the old system, the move would have been transparent. As formerprof recommended above, I would encourage people to use identical universal data paths on all systems so that moving data from one system to another is painless.

Terry also pointed out... It helps to use the same Windows username for your TMG installation on all systems. However for the user data folder, this really doesn't matter as long as you use a universal User Data path.

For example, for all operating systems, I use...

Windows Documents folder: D:\User_data\Documents

TMG User Data folder: D:\User_data\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7