Leslie1899

Running TMG v7 via Parallels in a Mac

As the result of an unexpected motherboard failure in a relatively new computer, I made the switch from a PC to a Mac Mini. My 25 years of PC operating system experience did not lead me to expect the incredible ease with which set up was accomplished between the Mac and my existing hardware and broadband internet connection. I bought Parallels 4.0, subsequently upgraded to 5.0, and transferred my entire Windows XP Pro computer into the Mac with more ease than I would've imagined. The only problem I had was getting Parallels Tools installed so I could run a Windows XP desktop on my second display while running Mac's Snow Leopard on my main display. However, this was resolved with help from Tech Support. I use the Mac for all email and internet research work. I use XP Pro to run WordPerfect, Paradox (database), Quattro Pro (spreadsheet), Microsoft's OneNote 2007, an old calendar program I like, and, most importantly, TMG. What amazed me was that a flatbed scanner, for which no Mac driver exists, runs perfectly under Windows XP - the same way it did when it was connected to my old PC.

So far, I've not had any problems running TMG v7. WordPerfect has performed flawlessly, as well. The only issue has been a delay in response when I transfer WordPerfect text into OneNote 2007 (which I use to hold nearly ten years of notes on genealogy, as well as notes taken from genealogical books/thesis/dissertations). I don't consider this a major problem. I'm willing to live with a little slowdown because of OneNote's incredible search ability.

I'm posting this so others will know that TMG v7 will run on the Mac. I will be interested to learn if TMG v8 is compatible with XP Pro because I have no intention of upgrading my Windows operating system. After experiencing the Mac, nothing could induce me to return to a Windows PC and its OS problems!

Leslie

There are several topics in this forum discussing running TMG7 in a virtual machine on the Mac.

TMG8 will be no different than TMG7 running on WinXP.

That's great news about TMG v8.

I'd tried looking under search for other TMG experience with Mac and nothing was returned. My syntax must have been at fault. Otherwise, I wouldn't have posted that I was having success with TMG on a Mac.

Leslie

Leslie -

I have better luck finding topics in the forum with the Google Advanced Search:

In Google / Advanced Search, enter Mac Parallels in the top search field ('all these words'). Then go to the field at the bottom (Search within a site or domain) and enter or paste the TMG 7 forum link:

www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index.php?showforum=113

Virginia

Here's a simple search that will return 12 topics.

Use the message board's advanced search and enter "parallels" (no quotes) into the search field and select the 'The Master Genealogist v7' forum to search.

Don't forget that some of us Mac users also use VMWare Fusion, so searching for both Parallels and Fusion will give you results from the majority of the Mac users.

Siobhan

I have installed Parallels 5 and Windows 7, 64-bit on my Mac Pro. I moved TMG v7 from Windows Vista OS to Windows 7 (guest OS). Note: I had originally downloaded TMG and installed it on the PC , so I did not have a CD for reinstalling it on the Mac. At present the program appears to work with the "Sample" project. My other projects did not move with the switch. Now if a start a B/U in the Sample project, I see a path that starts with \\.psf\Home\ while the old path was users\administrator\. Is my problem with using the 64-bit version rather than the 32-bit or for some other reason?

Charles

Please read the help topic: Customizing Data File Storage

Review the thread GOTERM and other problems: http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...showtopic=10076

As this thread has evolved over time, the later posts are more applicable to Vista & 7, but it is recommended you review the complete thread :blink:

Basically you need a data_paths.txt file with two lines.

[username]UserData=C:\Users\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

Your projects (User Data Files) will be located in the WINDOWS path

C:\Users\username\Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

TMG has an issue with opening projects with \\.psf\Home\ - The Mac User Documents folder

You can create backup files in the Mac User Documents folder and it appears you can store exhibits in the Mac file system

I'm not running 64 bit, but don't believe there is anything different regarding paths, there are known printing issues with 64bit OS

Sorry to be such a latecomer, but I've been away from my genealogy bench for a spell. This is an alternative to the virtual machine solutions of Parallels and Fusion discussed above.

I'm running TMG 7.04 on my iMac but in a Boot Camp partition on my system HD. Running it under Windows XP SP2 without problems. I've told everyone who asks that Windows runs better on my Mac than it did on a PC. [To those not familiar with the Intel chipped Macs, Boot Camp is part of the two most recent versions of Apple's OS X operating system: Leopard and Snow Leopard; Windows runs in its own partition and requires a re-boot into that partition. Once rebooted, you are running Windows on an Intel CPU machine.] Easy work-arounds for backups, etc. Very stable. Setting it up requires purchase of Windows, and the Boot Camp partition needs to be protected from all the malware problems I left behind when moving to Mac.

Terry

There is a product from Codeweavers called Cross Over Mac http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ I tried it and could NOT get TMG to work.

If you are looking for an alternative for Parallels or Fusion, VirtualBox is open source http://www.virtualbox.org/ I have not tried it.

Edited by ggilbert1

After years of dodging malware I have moved on to iMac with OSx Lion. I have been a TMG user for many years but need to move TMG onto the Mac and it appears Parallels is the best option. Both my Windows XP and TMG files are downloads. As TMG in my only Windows based interest once that goes over I can pension the PC off (lots of grandchildren with expectations!).

Just what are the issues involved in the transfer? I am moderately computer literate but seem to be accident prone. I am committed to going forward but fearful

Papamoa Brian,

I am not sure what specific information you need; you asked about transfer issues, and that could mean a lot of things.

Regarding using TMG under Parallels, I recommend a very simple approach that is very easy to setup and manage. See: http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...amp;#entry53181.

I'm running TMG v7 on my MacBook Pro (Lion) on a Win7 VM under Parallels with no problems.

I was wondering why the OP was running some pretty old software until I realized that the post is from 2009. Some of the software was old in 2009 but what can you do.