TerryD

Kinship report

I have just printed out a kinship report for my Uncle and I appreciate that this is maybe minor (or has it been covered before? Apologies if it has) but Great Uncles and Aunts are appearing "one generation after" their siblings on the report?

Am I correct that:

Grandfather's siblings are GrandUncles/Aunts

GGrandfather's siblings are GGrandUncles/Aunts

If so, in the report I am seeing Great Grandparents listed before Grand Uncles.

Or is it that the kinship report is created by looking at each level and starting with the blood relatives and then working down a level for their children (if that makes sense)?

Thanks - Terry

p.s. I may have misunderstood this totally.

Terry,

I don't see that they are a generation later. They are just in a different group. They wouldn't be in the "Great-Grandparents" group because they aren't any sort of "parents." They are appropriately labeled as "aunts/uncles." The report is organized primarily by relationship, not by generations. The arrangement seems to be:

1. Parents, then their descendants of various degree, arranged by generation

2. Next older generation of ancestors, then their descendants, arranged by generation

3. Next older generation of ancestors, then their descendants, arranged by generation

4. etc.

Terry,

I don't see that they are a generation later. They are just in a different group. They wouldn't be in the "Great-Grandparents" group because they aren't any sort of "parents." They are appropriately labeled as "aunts/uncles." The report is organized primarily by relationship, not by generations. The arrangement seems to be:

1. Parents, then their descendants of various degree, arranged by generation

2. Next older generation of ancestors, then their descendants, arranged by generation

3. Next older generation of ancestors, then their descendants, arranged by generation

4. etc.

I agree with TerryR, the relationship category descriptions are accurate.

I also agree with TerryD, the report is most-confusing. It is of no value to me, other than counting how many people are in a particular relative category. Strangely, descendants of the subject come at the end of the report. People within a category are often in a nonsense order. There is no way to positively tie a spouse or children to the proper persons, etc. This is especially true when multiple spouses are involved.

Let's hope that WG redesigns this report with more sensible ordering and codes to positively link people to their spouses and kids to their parents. 'Til then, thumbs down on this report.

Thanks both for the input.

Just to save my sanity (and possibly confuse further), I just took a look at my paternal Grandfather's brother in TMG and the relation tag shows that he is my Great Uncle. In the kinship report he is my Grand Uncle and appears after my Great Grandparents entry.

But I take your point Terry. As I say, not a big issue, however, until I looked the kinship report, I always thought of my Grandfather's brother as my Great Uncle, but I can understand why the term Grand Uncle would be used, it makes sense, but it was starting to confuse me at the 6th GGrandfather type level, I wasn't sure who quite fitted in where.

So is Grand Uncle the "correct" genealogical term? It would make sense to keep everything in kilter.

Also, "2nd great-great-uncle" (as shown in the TMG details screen) relates to my 2nd Great Grandfather's brother. I can see that on the screen, but is the use of great-great to match great in this instance to keep the "2nd" part of the description at the matching level.

I think that I may have just dug myself further into the confusion pit.

Please don't spend time answering this, I will go away and ponder...

Thanks again - Terry

Thanks both for the input.

You're welcome. :)

Just to save my sanity (and possibly confuse further), I just took a look at my paternal Grandfather's brother in TMG and the relation tag shows that he is my Great Uncle. In the kinship report he is my Grand Uncle and appears after my Great Grandparents entry.

Yes, he should, according to the way that report is organized. He is their child.

So is Grand Uncle the "correct" genealogical term? It would make sense to keep everything in kilter.

I've seen both "great" and "grand" used for uncles and aunts. I'm not sure which is "preferred" - I suspect it's a local usage thing. I would think TMG should be consistent, which according to your observations it isn't. :(