vabopi

Exhibits - Internal or External ?

I am not sure how to store exhibits: internal or external ?

What are the pros and cons of each type ?

I found out that the .jpg files obtained by scanning the documents, after being stored as internal exhibits cannot be opened by other programs, am I doing something wrong ?

But if I save the exhibit file myself - also in the same folder (exhibits) - I am still able to read it using TMG or any image program.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

I am not sure how to store exhibits: internal or external ?

What are the pros and cons of each type ?

I found out that the .jpg files obtained by scanning the documents, after being stored as internal exhibits cannot be opened by other programs, am I doing something wrong ?

But if I save the exhibit file myself - also in the same folder (exhibits) - I am still able to read it using TMG or any image program.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Some quick comments, I'm sure others will reply...

Internal exhibits are stored internal to the TMG project files and as you found are not available to other image programs. Internal images are backed up each time you back up project and greatly increase the size of your backups if you have a lot of them. Internal images cannot be used in Second Site (John Cardinal's program that generates web pages). If you attached the same exhibit to several individuals the exhibit will be stored in the TMG file once for each.

I keep all my TMG exhibits external in a special folder that is outside of TMG and in the root directory of my computer. Others establish various folders and subfolders to store them. I back the folder (s) up as required, when changes are made to exhibits. An external exhibit will only appear once in the folder even if you use it multiple times within TMG. If you make editing changes to the exteral exhibit the changes will be reflected in each instance where it is used.

FWIW

Thank you Paul.

In fact I was suspecting that I should have chosen "external", but only after having about 100 "internal" exihbits...

That was easy enough. <G> Thanks!

Quick question: What does "Log only" mean? Was I supposed to leave that checked?

Edited by Judy M.

Log only goes through the process but doesn't actually do anything. It's sort of a dry run so that you can see what would happen if you actually ran the process. You uncheck 'Log only' to export the image files.

I had no such luck. Only the few images "added" were exported, the images "scanned" remained as they were.

I repeated the process, but with no progress,

from the TMG Utility log:

Finished at 19:44:12

Elapsed Time=29 seconds

Exhibits=124

Internal images=85

Images exported=0

Edited by vabopi

I still have problems changing the directory for TMNU to move them to (from being internal), it just shuts down. I had this in Vista and now the same in Win 7. Has anyone found a way around this as I would like to get the internal back on "the outside" again.

Regards - Terry

Thank you Paul.

In fact I was suspecting that I should have chosen "external", but only after having about 100 "internal" exihbits...

John Cardinal's TMG Utility will convert internal exhibits to external...see http://www.johncardinal.com/

TerryD -

What is the path of the folder to which you are moving the exhibits? Could it be in a restricted area? Read Help / Data File Storage for an explanation of TMG v7's data file storage system. There are also some suggestions in that Help article for backing up Exhibits.

Virginia

Hi Virginia.

It doesn't let me get that far I am afraid. I click on choose a folder and when I click BROWSE, select any folder (I have local admin rights) and "TMG Utility has stopped working" appears.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - Terry

Thanks Virginia.

A good thought.

I have DEP switched off, but I will have another Google and see if I can find anything elsewhere. It was mainly because my SecondSite doesn't show the exhibits correctly. If it is something that John is working on, then I can wait.

Thanks again - Terry

TerryD,

TMGU has a problem on some PCs where you can't use the "select a folder" dialog window. There is no fix right now, but I expect to change TMGU in the future to allow the user to copy/paste the path. There is a Windows component that fails under a specific set of circumstances and I haven't been able to work around it. If you can't set the folder, then you can't use the feature. The only way around it would be to edit the registry. Unless you are very comfortable with technical system management tasks, I don't advise that.

Thanks John.

Yes I found the same (or very similar when it came to symptoms) problem in Adobe PhotoShop Essentials under Vista. I upgraded to Win 7 and the PSE problem went away, so maybe they aren't the same problem.

I don't mind reg editing. If you want to email the details I will send you over my email address in a PM.

Thanks again - Terry

TerryD,

TMGU has a problem on some PCs where you can't use the "select a folder" dialog window. There is no fix right now, but I expect to change TMGU in the future to allow the user to copy/paste the path. There is a Windows component that fails under a specific set of circumstances and I haven't been able to work around it. If you can't set the folder, then you can't use the feature. The only way around it would be to edit the registry. Unless you are very comfortable with technical system management tasks, I don't advise that.

I have a follow on question to vabopi's original question. I've just started to use exhibits and they are external.

I will be sending my TMG .sqz file and the external exhibits file to another person, in a zipped folder, for them to use. When they unzip and restore my files to their machine will TMG be able to find the external exhibits automaticaly? Or is there some function in TMG or TMG Utilities to update the external exhibit paths?

Or is there some function in TMG or TMG Utilities to update the external exhibit paths?

File / Maintenance / Validate File Integrity / use the External Exhibits feature to refresh the exhibit paths

Thank you Paul.

John Cardinal's TMG Utility will convert internal exhibits to external...see http://www.johncardinal.com/

After the export conversion, what happens to all the data associated with the exhibits such as audio, info, Captions, and description? Is the data converted over as Captions or Tags or is all of it lost?

Randy R.

Or is there some function in TMG or TMG Utilities to update the external exhibit paths?

File / Maintenance / Validate File Integrity / use the External Exhibits feature to refresh the exhibit paths

I ran this maintenance utility and it said that it repaired 300 or so issues. How can I see what it repaired? Is there a log file?

Randy R.