John Oldman

Expanded Picklist

Wholly Genes Forum

John Oldman

TMG Gold v 7.04.000

Windows XP Professional Version 2002

Service Pack 3

2.93 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM

My Expanded Picklist (250 names) has, I believe, some errors as follows.

• When sorted by ID Number, the top 8 persons are in numerical order in their group of 8, but out of numerical order in the complete Picklist.
    • This group of 8 are all females having a Tag Type of Name-Marr

[*]From ID Number 1 to ID Number 137 all seems to be correct, including Name-Marr & Name-Var

[*]From then on all Person Names have an ID Number as 0, once again including Name-Marr & Name-Var

[*]I have attempted to add a new Witness having a completely new ID Number, but it shows up as a Name-Var for existing ID Number 137

How do I fix these errors please?

John -

Run the Maintenance routines (on the File menu) in this order: Optimize - Validate File Integrity (VFI) - Optimize, until VFI reports no more errors.

If the problem persists, switch to the Simple Picklist and see if the problem is also there.

Is the Picklist filtered? Are you using Accents?

Virginia

John -

Run the Maintenance routines (on the File menu) in this order: Optimize - Validate File Integrity (VFI) - Optimize, until VFI reports no more errors.

If the problem persists, switch to the Simple Picklist and see if the problem is also there.

Is the Picklist filtered? Are you using Accents?

Virginia

Thanks Virginia

On reading my posting I realised that I should have been a little more explicit as follows:- "From then on I have 40 Person Names, all having an ID Number as 0, when I would have expected to see ID’s 138 to 177, once again including Name-Marr & Name-Var tags".

Can I re-number these, or will Optimise fix it?

John

There is no need to renumber anyone. The problem is with the Picklist display, not with your data, and can sometimes happen when working with a filtered picklist. Run the Maintenance routines - which should be run regularly in any event - and see if that fixes the Picklist problem. You could also try switching to another Sort order and see if the problem resolves itself.

Virginia

There is no need to renumber anyone. The problem is with the Picklist display, not with your data, and can sometimes happen when working with a filtered picklist. Run the Maintenance routines - which should be run regularly in any event - and see if that fixes the Picklist problem. You could also try switching to another Sort order and see if the problem resolves itself.

Virginia

I have run the Maintenance routines (on the File menu) as suggested

The group of 8, all females having a Tag Type of Name-Marr, originally on the top of the PickList, are now back in numerical order within the whole PickList.

However, the 40 Person Names, all having an ID Number as 0, that I would have expected to see as ID’s 138 to 177, have now disappeared.

A further check also reveals 3 of those 40, who were in the Witness box of the Marriage Tag for ID’s 1 & 2 are no longer showing as Witnesses

John

In the Expanded Picklist, if you switch the mode (columnar to event or vice versa), do the missing people appear?

If the Expanded Picklist is filtered, does removing the filter bring the people back?

Do they appear in the Simple Picklist?

Are the people who are missing from the Picklist still in your project (use Ctrl-I and enter the ID# to go to the person)?

Virginia

In the Expanded Picklist, if you switch the mode (columnar to event or vice versa), do the missing people appear?

If the Expanded Picklist is filtered, does removing the filter bring the people back?

Do they appear in the Simple Picklist?

Are the people who are missing from the Picklist still in your project (use Ctrl-I and enter the ID# to go to the person)?

Virginia

Virginia,

To each of your 4 questions above, the answer is NO.

Regards

John

John, if the people are missing from your project, you should contact tech support. It is not unusual for the Picklist to have occasional display problems, but I cannot recall a group of people being deleted from the project as you describe.

Have you tried shutting TMG down and rebooting?

E-mail support : support@whollygenes.com

Phone support : 410-715-2260 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm Eastern)

Virginia