Peter Tarkkonen

Starting from backup in W7

I just moved to new PC with Windows 7

Installed TMG via backup file. However, path to files is different as before.

Two questions raised

Q1. Four exhibits (I only use external) can not be found by backup in new installation.

All four are original map.jpg's on which I have added some highlighters. New file names are like map_hl(tmg).jpg's and those can be found and seems to work ok.

Bacause path was changed, somehow TMG is searching originals from original path. I just can't find how to fix those paths.

More important, by short look, I could not find any reporting problems, only warming after backup.

How can I fix this issue ie. fix those original paths?

Q2. When I make backup from new PC, size of backup file is 3,7 M less (total about 20M) than the file which I imported. Those missing 4 pic explains only 1,1 M.

I am worried here that in installation something went wrong.

Is this normal that same data, same backup, same compression, has so big difference or should I reinstall?

Number of people is 24.000 so it is impossible to check by hand.

Peter

Installed TMG via backup file. However, path to files is different as before. [...]

Q2. When I make backup from new PC, size of backup file is 3,7 M less (total about 20M) than the file which I imported. Those missing 4 pic explains only 1,1 M.

Hi Peter,

As a layperson, I can think of several things that might effect file size (for example, the "repeat" files).

Assuming you still have TMG loaded on your old computer, considered opening the project on both machines. You can compare detailed statistics about both instances of the project at File > Project Summary.

Those with more technical knowledge may have other suggestions. In a pinch, hope the above helps. --GJ

Edited by genejunky

Peter,

To fix your exhibit paths you have a few choices (at least) :-

1. Manually as you only have 4 to worry about (right click on the exhibits, properties, load and then find your file)

2. Validate File Integrity (file, maintenance, vfi). Tick - "Search for missing external exhibits", click on "Specify the folders to search" and add the folders where your missing exhibits are stored. This function is ok if you only have a few exhibits or if you store your exhibits in a small number of folders. Sadly it does not search sub-folders so it has limited use for me.

3. Buy Pathwiz - which you obvoisly don't need in this case but it does solve the problems of the shortcomings of the VFI search.

Edited by nbradley

Peter,

To fix your exhibit paths you have a few choices (at least) :-

1. Manually as you only have 4 to worry about (right click on the exhibits, properties, load and then find your file)

2. Validate File Integrity (file, maintenance, vfi). Tick - "Search for missing external exhibits", click on "Specify the folders to search" and add the folders where your missing exhibits are stored. This function is ok if you only have a few exhibits or if you store your exhibits in a small number of folders. Sadly it does not search sub-folders so it has limited use for me.

3. Buy Pathwiz - which you obvoisly don't need in this case but it does solve the problems of the shortcomings of the VFI search.

Neil,

I can find the files, no problem. They are in same folder as other exhibits.

However, TMG link to these 4 files is "the old one" (=path is not the same as iI had in old PC).

Validation does not report any problems. Btw validation fixed all other exhibit paths except these 4.

What have I done.

- added map.jpg to exhibit folder

- make an exhibit in TMG

- Add highlights to the map.jpg. A new file is generated by TMG called map_hl(tmg).jpg and exhibit link is pointing to that new file.

(In my understanding, TMG does not need original map.jpg at all anymore)

- But now, backup tries to find those originals ie. map.jpg and because there is no link from TMG (at least I can't find it) to this original, I can't fix the path.

Now I am worried about backup warning that these files can't be copied.

Peter

Installed TMG via backup file. However, path to files is different as before. [...]

Hi Peter,

As a layperson, I can think of several things that might effect file size (for example, the "repeat" files).

Assuming you still have TMG loaded on your old computer, considered opening the project on both machines. You can compare detailed statistics about both instances of the project at File > Project Summary.

Those with more technical knowledge may have other suggestions. In a pinch, hope the above helps. --GJ

Gene,

thank you. Helped a lot.

Data seems to match, only size of backup file is different. Probably does not matter.

Peter