Leslie1899

Missing Scroll Bar on Person Details Screen

Initially, I thought TMG v7.04 was working perfectly on a Windows XP Pro guest virtual machine running via Parallels on an Apple Mac Mini. However, once I began to work, I realized my scroll bar was no longer available in my customized layout. On the advice of TMG tech support, I opened the Standard Layout where the scroll bar still wasn't available. I was therefore advised to post on the forum in hope that someone else running on an Apple might know what's wrong.

I've never had this problem before. There is no way I can move down my individual Person Details window . . . obviously not via the missing scroll bar, but also not using the down arrow or page down keys either. This makes it impossible to work on anybody.

I have Windows Desktop Appearance sent to Large fonts because I have a vision problem. I know that this has caused a problem with WordPerfect in the past, but I was using Large Fonts on the desktop display prior to having set up a Windows guest virtual machine on the new Apple after the death of my former PC's motherboard. TMG never objected to Large Font before now.

I'm really dead in the water. Does anybody have a fix or suggestion?

Leslie

Hi Leslie:

As I recall, Glenn is working with Windows XP; hopefully he'll chime in. I'm running Win 7.

Are we talking about scroll bars in the details window? Children or siblings window?

If so, I _do_ have scroll bars on those windows running the current version of TMG on Windows 7 (64 bit) under Parallels 5 [Windows mode*], all on a late 2009 iMac with Snow Leopard (10.6.2).

In the alternative, are you taking about the TMG "master" window? The Parallels 5 window?

One of those times that I wish we all could attach screen shots to our posts. --GJ

*I've run Parallels in Cohesion and Crystal..just happen to be in Windows mode right now.

Edited by genejunky

For sharing screenshots here or on the tmg mail list, I highly recommend the Jing Project (free) from Techsmith.

Virginia

Hi Virginia:

Thanks for the tip about Jing. Sounds like a cool tool. I added the Mac OS X version.

I didn't find a version said compatible with Win 7. Perhaps another TMGer who has used Jing on Win 7 will let me know if they installed the XP or Vista version.

Thanks again, Virginia. --GJ

I didn't find a version said compatible with Win 7. Perhaps another TMGer who has used Jing on Win 7 will let me know if they installed the XP or Vista version.

Win 7 is a refined, updated WinVista so the WinVista version should work.

Thank you Jim. I'll add that Vista version to my Win 7 todo list. --GJ

I have no scroll bar on the individual Person Details Window (also none on the sibling or child windows, but I've never really needed a scroll bar there) on the TMG screen which displays when I open my project.

I have NO way to move down the screen on people with multiple tag events. I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and Parallels 5.0.9220 (Revision 535995, 19 Nov 2009).

When I changed the layout from my customized layout to Standard, the scroll bar was briefly visible, but then replaced with the standard (and annoying to me) layout minus any scroll bar.

The problems I had with using an enlarged font size on WordPerfect occurred several years ago when I was still using a PC. I haven't tried to run the report that gave me past problems now that I'm using WP in a virtual machine.

Leslie

I have no scroll bar on the individual Person Details Window (also none on the sibling or child windows, but I've never really needed a scroll bar there).

I have NO way to move down the screen on people with multiple tag events. I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and Parallels 5.0.9220 (Revision 535995, 19 Nov 2009).

When I changed the layout from my customized layout to Standard, the scroll bar was briefly visible, but then replaced with the standard (and annoying to me) layout minus any scroll bar.

The problems I had with using an enlarged font size on WordPerfect occurred several years ago when I was still using a PC. I haven't tried to run the report that gave me past problems now that I'm using WP in a virtual machine.

Leslie

Hi Leslie.

Thank you for providing the additional information.

(1) Parallels 5 offers several "modes" (Parallels Desktop > View), such as "Window," "Crystal," etc. Which "mode" are you running?

I'm right now in the mode, "Window."

(2) What preferences have you set in TMG for window resizing? See TMG > Preferences > Program Options > Other for the box, "Use the TMG 5/6 method of windows resizing. On my system, that box is NOT checked.

Thanks. --GJ

Nother Q:

In Windows XP, are you running TMG "full screen?" If so, what happens when you run it as a window?

Edited by genejunky

Hi Leslie:

I was able to create a scenario in which I could "lose" my scroll bar.

I'm viewing a Person Details screen with 40 tags (my Harmon Miller). I've been changing TMG back and forth between Full Screen and Window. I'm right now in a "window."

My screen is large enough that I can expand dear old Harmon's TMG Detail window to view all 40 tags without need for the scroll bars. With the Detail window so expanded, if I THEN resize the TMG window so that it is _smaller_ than Harmon's Detail window, the scroll bars don't reappear.

I'm able to easily recover my scroll bars in one of two ways.

a Resize the Details window just a little (from it's top edge).

b Double click on the top bar of the Details window -- that action will expand the Detail to the full size of your TMG window.

Hope you'll try either of the two "recovery" tactics so that I can know if your missing scroll bars are akin to the "outsized" issue I created.

--GJ

Edited by genejunky

While you were posting, I was demonstrating the problem to my husband. We discovered that on people with very large amount of data, the scroll bar was there. What we think is happening is, indeed, a window sizing problem. I am running my virtual machine on a totally separate display set to full screen and in coherence mode so that I can work on the Apple desktop for internet/email purposes at the same time as I'm working in TMG on the Windows desktop.

I can't change Preferences to Use the TMG 5/6 method of window resizing because the "box" can't be completely displayed. I can see the tops of the buttons, but not the titles. I've looked through my manual/ Hoffman's book, downloaded Riegel tips, but can't find a "picture" of the placement of these buttons so I can try to click on the right one - Apply.

I think you're right, but please tell me which of the four buttons is the Apply button . . . I know I should remember the order, but for the life of me I can't!

Leslie

While you were posting, I was demonstrating the problem to my husband. We discovered that on people with very large amount of data, the scroll bar was there. What we think is happening is, indeed, a window sizing problem. I am running my virtual machine on a totally separate display set to full screen and in coherence mode so that I can work on the Apple desktop for internet/email purposes at the same time as I'm working in TMG on the Windows desktop.

I can't change Preferences to Use the TMG 5/6 method of window resizing because the "box" can't be completely displayed. I can see the tops of the buttons, but not the titles. I've looked through my manual/ Hoffman's book, downloaded Riegel tips, but can't find a "picture" of the placement of these buttons so I can try to click on the right one.

I think you're right, but please tell me which of the four buttons to try to click on . . . I know I should remember the order, but for the life of me I can't!

Leslie

While it's not solved, sounds like we closer to learning this is general to TMG (rather than your Mac/Parallels set up). [see also my post above for "...I was able to ..." ]

You wrote, "....can't change Preferences to Use the TMG 5/6 method."

Hope Virginia will jump in here. In the mean time, see her post of 14 Oct 2009 (and others in the same topic):

http://www.whollygenes.com/forums201/index...showtopic=11964

She refers to the Help topic at "Help / Preferences / Other."

Will check in again in about 30 minutes. I have an unrelated 9:30 deadline. --GJ

Okay, I found the "Apply" button and made the change. It made no difference at all. I still can't see the bottom of the project Details window and no scroll bar appears. The display font is set at 10 (so I can read it).

Genejockey, the doubleclick does solve the problem, but I couldn't resize the Person Details Window from the top. Don't know why, but I can move the window around and make it narrower. But no amount of trying to change the size from the top makes any difference.

I guess what I have to do is to use the double click whenever there's no scroll bar. I'm going to change back the options setting and uncheck the TMG 5/6 option because it didn't help.

Leslie

Hi Leslie...

You wrote, " guess what I have to do is to use the double click whenever there's no scroll bar..."

You have more options. I just wanted you to make sure the scenario I created was the same one you were experiencing.

As well, believe we can isolate this to "using TMG" (vs a conflict with the Mac or Parallels).

When you can't see the bottom of the details window, you can resize it (from the top) so that the bottom border (and scroll bar) is in view. Position your mouse at the top of the Details window, so that the cursor changes to the resize icon. Then drag that cursor down slowly. In my case, when the window is the right size, the right side scroll bar appears. I can then drag that window up so that the top and the bottom (with the scroll bar) of the newly sized window is visible.

Does that action work for you? --GJ

P.S. Once we have your TMG layout just the way you want it, you'll save it as a custom layout so these issues won't commonly effect your day to day use.

Edited by genejunky

Genejunky: No, the action you describe did not work at first, but eventually I got it to. What I was doing wrong was trying to size it in the wrong direction. But, moving the resize arrow downward gradually worked - it took a surprisingly long time to get it right. I've resized both the Person and Siblings details windows to where I can see the bottom of each window.

I'll save it to a new layout (based on my old customized layout with all the tool bars and additional customization I'd already applied).

Thank you so much, genejunky. You've truly SAVED THE DAY!

Leslie

... did not work at first, but eventually I got it to. ... moving the resize arrow downward gradually worked - it took a surprisingly long time to get it right. I've resized both the Person and Siblings details windows to where I can see the bottom of each window.

I'll save it to a new layout (based on my old customized layout with all the tool bars and additional customization I'd already applied)....

That's great news. --GJ

Thank you Jim. I'll add that Vista version to my Win 7 todo list. --GJ

Hi Jim/Virginia:

Vista version of Jing installed. Jing did want its installer/set up files saved to my Windows (only) side.

Thanks again to you both. --GJ