Donald Gunn

Tmg v7.04-PDF printer driver and Win7

I was full of hope after finding your post for I too have the problem of no pdf reports, but on a 32 bit system, not 64 bit, after upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista SP2. My understanding is that the pdf writer should work on 32 bit systems but mine doesn't. I've followed your procedure, several times in fact, but still no pdf reports. The file > printer setup > install pdf printer > route tells me the pdf printer is already installed. But every attempt results in 'Printer not activated, error code - 20'. Control Panel > Devices & Printers > etc confirms the Wholly Genes PDF printer is unavailable. The NewPort seems OK and is checked. Im at a loss. Don Gunn

I was full of hope after finding your post for I too have the problem of no pdf reports, but on a 32 bit system, not 64 bit, after upgrading to Windows 7 from Vista SP2. My understanding is that the pdf writer should work on 32 bit systems but mine doesn't. I've followed your procedure, several times in fact, but still no pdf reports. The file > printer setup > install pdf printer > route tells me the pdf printer is already installed. But every attempt results in 'Printer not activated, error code - 20'. Control Panel > Devices & Printers > etc confirms the Wholly Genes PDF printer is unavailable. The NewPort seems OK and is checked. Im at a loss. Don Gunn

I am on a 64-bit system with Windows 7 and have followed the above steps numerous times also. I am getting the same error code -20 message that Donald gets.

Cindy

I am running TMG7 on windows 7. I, too, cannot create any PDF reports. I have no physical printer connected to my machine (my compatability problem). So I thought I'd create some pdf reports and pass them across my LAN to a machine with a functioning printer. But I think you're saying I have to install a pdf print driver EVEN THOUGH I HAVE NO PRINTER. Is this correct?

I also find I cannot create any RTF reports. When I try, I get a pop up window that says "Wordport spawn error". When I close that error window, I get another window that says "Conversion error #20; Unknown error - contact tech support". Please help.

EDIT:

I just tried to install the pdf driver. Everything went fine up to step 18. There is no "ports" tab. Just "general" and "Hardware". Perhaps this is because I have no physical printer connected? When I tried TMG to create a pdf report, PMG hung. What next?

Thanks,

bctrail

Edited by bctrail

I just tried to install the pdf driver. Everything went fine up to step 18. There is no "ports" tab. Just "general" and "Hardware". Perhaps this is because I have no physical printer connected? When I tried TMG to create a pdf report, PMG hung. What next?

You opened the "Properties", not the "Printer Properties". Please look at the PDF driver right-click menu carefully and follow the instructions exactly.

Since the instructions were for Win7 x64, they would not apply to your system.

To have the PDF driver work under Win7 (32-bit), I simply installed the driver using File / Printer Setup... and clicking the [install PDF printer]. That permanently installs the PDF printer driver.

When you want to print a report, you select Acrobat (PDF) for the 'Save to' file type.

You should also check that 'Acrobat (PDF)' is enabled in Preferences.

File / Preferences / Program Options / Reports tab / make sure that 'Acrobat (PDF) is checked

You cannot select the 'Wholly Genes PDF Printer v3' printer from TMG or from any other application and use it You can only select PDF output that uses this driver from the Report Definition screen.

Edited by Jim Byram

Thank you very much. Sorry, I didn't see that. I can now create pdf files no problem. While this gets me out of my immediate report creation problem, it would be nice if I could make RTF files also. Any ideas on my problem there?

Thank you again for your prompt and timely help.

bctrail

While this gets me out of my immediate report creation problem, it would be nice if I could make RTF files also. Any ideas on my problem there?

This issue is discussed in several topics on this board.

Tmg7 does not support word processing output (Word, RTF, WordPerfect and HTML) under 64-bit operating systems.

The report manager/word processing conversion components have been completely replaced in Tmg8 (which is in development) and will support word processor output under 64-bit operating systems.

I have Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I followed Jim Byrum procedure exactly and I still get printer not activated -20 error.

Craig Hubbard

I have v 7.3 windows7 64bit and have followed your instructions 3 times and can not for the life of me get the pdf printer to work Dortothy has passed me on to you. Some times the wholly genes printer shows up in printer devises and other times not. I have tried yo uninstall printer and reinstall and that still does not work.

Mike Haydock

561-369-5901

haydock@ix.netcom.com

Mike,

I really don't have anything to say beyond the written procedure that has worked just fine for a number of people so far.

The procedure has three steps.

1) Update the compatibility settings for the PDF printer driver installer.

2) Install the PDF driver from TMG.

3) Add a dummy port for the PDF driver to deal with a bug that it has under 64-bit operating systems.

I have no idea why step 2 wouldn't work for you 100% of the time and it only needs to be done once in any event.

However, the three steps must be done in order for the fix to work. If the PDF driver already had been installed from TMG, it would need to be deleted from the Devices and Printers folder before doing the three steps.

Jim

I followed these instructions without success. When I click install printer it says it is already installed. I can see "Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3" in Devices and Printers. When I go to print setup the options are Windows Default and Selected. In Selected the TMG PDF printer is not listed. [it is listed in Devices and Printers.] When I chose any of the other PDF printers [just in case it has yet another name in TMG] the error code is "printer not activated - error code 20."

Does the fact that I have Adobe Acrobat Pro installed affect this? I have Adobe PDF, MMFT PDF Printer and Primo PDF Printer too. I really don't know what MMFT PDF Printer is but it is described as Model: Amyuni Document Converter 300 and the TMG is also Amyuni etc. Do I have TMG PDF printer installed twice? I did try selecting that as the printer without success. Would there be value in deleting both and trying install printer again?

Will TMG 8 resolve the 64 bit issues?

I followed these instructions without success. When I click install printer it says it is already installed. I can see "Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3" in Devices and Printers. When I go to print setup the options are Windows Default and Selected. In Selected the TMG PDF printer is not listed. [it is listed in Devices and Printers.] When I chose any of the other PDF printers [just in case it has yet another name in TMG] the error code is "printer not activated - error code 20."

Does the fact that I have Adobe Acrobat Pro installed affect this? I have Adobe PDF, MMFT PDF Printer and Primo PDF Printer too. I really don't know what MMFT PDF Printer is but it is described as Model: Amyuni Document Converter 300 and the TMG is also Amyuni etc. Do I have TMG PDF printer installed twice? I did try selecting that as the printer without success. Would there be value in deleting both and trying install printer again?

Instead of trying to print your report try writing it to a PDF file -- if properly installed the "printer" object should pick it up and let you open and print it.

TMG 8 will resolve the 64-bit printer issues according to Wholly Genes.

Hope this helps . . .

Robert

Edited by Robert Jacobs

" How to get the Wholly Genes PDF driver working under Windows 7 x64 (64-bit)...

(not necessary under Windows 7 x86 (32-bit))

1) Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the RRW folder in your TMG 7 program folder.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v7\rrw"

I hate to admit to being so computer illiterate but how do I find the RRW folder using Windows Explorer?

Just got Windows 7, 64 bit and have the latest volume of TMG. I guess I am the only one who couldn't get past step 1, any additional info would be greatly appreciated! Dorothy

" How to get the Wholly Genes PDF driver working under Windows 7 x64 (64-bit)...

(not necessary under Windows 7 x86 (32-bit))

1) Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the RRW folder in your TMG 7 program folder.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v7\rrw"

I hate to admit to being so computer illiterate but how do I find the RRW folder using Windows Explorer?

Just got Windows 7, 64 bit and have the latest volume of TMG. I guess I am the only one who couldn't get past step 1, any additional info would be greatly appreciated! Dorothy

Dear Dorothy,

If you installed TMG 7.04 in its standard location under Windows 7 64 bit you will find the RRW directory as a subdirectory of

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v7"

To get there, open the Windows Explorer ("My Computer" may be the easiest way) and double-click on drive C. You should then be able to find "Program Files (x86)" listed as a directory. Double-click on that one in its turn and then find "The Master Genealogist v7" If you open that (i.e., double-click it) you will find the RRW directory and can open it to find the files it contains.

If you installed The Master Genealogist in some other directory or on another drive you can navigate to it using the same methods; "RRW" should still be a subdirectory of the TMG directory, whatever its name may be.

I hope this helps.

Robert Jacobs

Instead of trying to print your report try writing it to a PDF file -- if properly installed the "printer" object should pick it up and let you open and print it.

TMG 8 will resolve the 64-bit printer issues according to Wholly Genes.

Hope this helps . . .

Robert

I'm feeling dense. My options seem to be SAVE or PRINT. I cannot SAVE as PDF. When I attempt to print I get the error code as in my message.

I note when I try to SAVE as something else, WordPerfect, RTF, I get some sort of "spawn" error and advise to contact tech support.

It has been extremely frustrating for the last two years but I am hopeful the resolution is about to arrive.

Thanks Robert, I have it up and running now! Dorothy

Dear Dorothy,

If you installed TMG 7.04 in its standard location under Windows 7 64 bit you will find the RRW directory as a subdirectory of

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v7"

To get there, open the Windows Explorer ("My Computer" may be the easiest way) and double-click on drive C. You should then be able to find "Program Files (x86)" listed as a directory. Double-click on that one in its turn and then find "The Master Genealogist v7" If you open that (i.e., double-click it) you will find the RRW directory and can open it to find the files it contains.

If you installed The Master Genealogist in some other directory or on another drive you can navigate to it using the same methods; "RRW" should still be a subdirectory of the TMG directory, whatever its name may be.

I hope this helps.

Robert Jacobs

I'm feeling dense. My options seem to be SAVE or PRINT. I cannot SAVE as PDF. When I attempt to print I get the error code as in my message.

I note when I try to SAVE as something else, WordPerfect, RTF, I get some sort of "spawn" error and advise to contact tech support.

It has been extremely frustrating for the last two years but I am hopeful the resolution is about to arrive.

Dear Cheryl,

Your earlier post suggests that you have several "PDF" printer drivers installed and that may be the reason you continue to have difficulty. It's hard to diagnose from afar. If it were my machine I'd be tempted to delete ALL the PDF drivers and then follow Jim Byram's instructions again to get the TMG driver up correctly.

Your most recent post says that you can't save the report to a PDF file, but you don't say what happens when you try. Is it still the "spawn" error you get with rtf files etc.? There may be a clue there -- perhaps you'd try the save again and post the results. If it is the "spawn" error it probably means that the Wholly Genes pdf driver is not fully or properly installed.

I too am most anxious for version 8 as I need to write word-processing files for my project.

Hope this helps.

Robert Jacobs

Of course I have several pdf printers installed. I run Acrobat Pro and it seems like every program has to have its own proprietary version, TMG included. I did uninstall and follow Jim's advice but it didn't work.

The results of attempting to save as anything other than pdf are the the spawn error which is something that flashes on the screen, not something I can save. However, it is my understanding that TMG can't save to a word processing file in 64 bit so I wasn't expecting to be able to save those.

I'm used to there always being at least one problem with TMG. :wacko:

I'm feeling dense. My options seem to be SAVE or PRINT.

Those aren't the options on my Report Definition Screen.

When Acrobat (PDF) is selected as the output file type, the options are:

[Create Report] which creates the report and saves the configuration file.

or

[save Settings] which saves the configuration file.

The Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 should never be chosen as a system printer or as the printer on the TMG 'Printer setup' screen. Only TMG can use the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 and that is done internally,

Ok, but the result doesn't change no matter what you call it.

When I save a pdf it gives me an error. When I attempt to print a pdf it gives me an error. When I CREATE REPORT it gives me an error. The only time I don't get an error is if the Report Destination is Printer and the printer is a mechanic printer, not PDF.

I'm giving up and waiting for TMG8.

I'm feeling dense. My options seem to be SAVE or PRINT.

Those aren't the options on my Report Definition Screen.

When Acrobat (PDF) is selected as the output file type, the options are:

[Create Report] which creates the report and saves the configuration file.

or

[save Settings] which saves the configuration file.

The Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 should never be chosen as a system printer or as the printer on the TMG 'Printer setup' screen. Only TMG can use the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 and that is done internally,

When I run the pdfinstall I get the message "acXMLParser.dll not found".

Edited by dvs

I have Windows 7 64-bit TMG 7.04.0000

Step 13 of the original instructions fails for me, the PDF printer is not installed. Here are the messages from the Amyuni Document Converter:

Copying acfpdfuamd64.dll file

Error Code: 2

The system cannot find the file specified

Installing printer driver

Error Code: 2

The system cannot find the file specified

Installing printer

Error Code: 1797

The printer driver is unknown

Printer setup failed

Error Code: 1797

The printer driver is unknown

Since I did the standard install, I assume these files should be there.

Have you released a fix for Windows 7 (64), Word 2007? I continue to try to SAVE to a word file, and continue to receive the Wordport Spawn, Conversion Error #20.

I:

1. Go to the Report menu

2. Click on Journal from the pull down menu

3. Set up my options

4. Click on SAVE

5. I then get the error messages

Jim Nyfeler

The fix to allow creation of reports to word processor files under 64-bit operating systems has been announced as being part of TMG8, which has not yet been released.

In the meantime, work-arounds include 1) installing TMG on a computer running a 32-bit version of windows and running reports to word processor files from there, and 2) installing XP Mode on your Windows 7 system, installing a copy of TMG 7 in it, and running reports from that copy.