Donald Gunn

Tmg v7.04-PDF printer driver and Win7

Or give up reports and catch up on other work. That's pretty much what I did. Although I did install on a 32 bit laptop I haven't run any reports in eons. I am caught up on scanning documents though. :-)

The fix to allow creation of reports to word processor files under 64-bit operating systems has been announced as being part of TMG8, which has not yet been released.

In the meantime, work-arounds include 1) installing TMG on a computer running a 32-bit version of windows and running reports to word processor files from there, and 2) installing XP Mode on your Windows 7 system, installing a copy of TMG 7 in it, and running reports from that copy.

To have the PDF driver work under Win7 (32-bit), I simply installed the driver using File / Printer Setup... and clicking the [install PDF printer]. That permanently installs the PDF printer driver.

When you want to print a report, you select Acrobat (PDF) for the 'Save to' file type.

I too am running Win 7 Home (x32) and TMG v7.04.000.

I don't actually want to print, I just want to create a one-page pedigree that I can share with another researcher. I would happily share a text file, but PDF is the only option.

• Selected Pedigree under Reports menu. Changed options to suit, saved settings. Ran again. Nothing happened. Ran again. Got "Calculating text" box. Then get an error: "OLE IDispatch exception code 1801 from CDINTF~1: Printer Installation failed.."
  • Click Ignore, get this error: "OLE IDispatch exception code 65535 from CDINTF~1: DEVMODE is NULL Check that the printer is installed correctly.."
  • Click Ignore, the error repeats. Click cancel, now get a real crash: "Object GOREP is not found. 4 FRMRDS_ONEPERSON.DESTROY"
  • Click Ignore, get "Unknown member ROPROTECTIONMAN." Click Okay, this cycle continues with a whole series of varying errors, no matter whether I ignore, abort, or retry.

I did try to install the PDF writer, both from within the report and from the File menu as above, and got a set of errors that I cannot copy/paste, several of which amounted to variations on "file not found."

Reporting this would be a lot easier if the errors were logged, but my "error.txt" file in the "logs" directory is dated 2009.

VENT mode ON

This is particularly frustrating because I've now spent over an hour testing this, checking for updates, trying to search here on the forum (which is broken), writing this report, etc. It would have been faster to scan the original document I got my data from and send that instead, or to key all the data in freshly in a new text file or email message.

I have a laptop running XP with TMG on it, so I guess I'll try it there.

VENT mode OFF

Edited by laura1814

I too am running Win 7 Home (x32) and TMG v7.04.000.

I don't actually want to print, I just want to create a one-page pedigree that I can share with another researcher. I would happily share a text file, but PDF is the only option.

Hi Laura,

Sorry to hear you are having such problems. You say you are using a 32-bit version of Win 7 Home? A number of users have that operating system and are using TMG with no report problems at all. If us fellow users on this forum are to try to help, we need more detailed information about your TMG Installation, report settings, etc.

You say "I would happily share a text file". Have you tried to run a report where on the "Report Definition Screen" you specify the "Save to: File type:" as "ASCII text"?? That should work. But you say that "PDF" is the only option." Have you checked within TMG in the "File / Preferences / Options / Program Options / Reports" to see if you have selected anything other than PDF as possible report output types?

Don't give up. If you truly are running a 32-bit version of Win 7 Home, then reports should work.

Hi, Michael, thanks for your response.

Sorry to hear you are having such problems. You say you are using a 32-bit version of Win 7 Home? A number of users have that operating system and are using TMG with no report problems at all. If us fellow users on this forum are to try to help, we need more detailed information about your TMG Installation, report settings, etc.

What do you want to know? I've applied all available updates for Windows and TMG.

You say "I would happily share a text file". Have you tried to run a report where on the "Report Definition Screen" you specify the "Save to: File type:" as "ASCII text"?? That should work. But you say that "PDF" is the only option."

Yes, PDF is the only thing available in the drop-down box.

Have you checked within TMG in the "File / Preferences / Options / Program Options / Reports" to see if you have selected anything other than PDF as possible report output types?

Yes, all file types are checked.

Don't give up. If you truly are running a 32-bit version of Win 7 Home, then reports should work.

I appreciate the encouragement. Maybe later I will have the energy to be able to troubleshoot further if anyone has any suggestions; I'm afraid I'm all used up for now. I'll check back tomorrow.

Edited by laura1814

Hmmm... If you truly are running a 32-bit version of Win 7 Home, and you have all file types checked for output types in Preferences, then you should be seeing lots more options for file types on the Report Definition Screen. This sounds like something beyond us mere users. I suggest you contact Support directly. Unfortunately it is now a weekend, so you may have to wait until Monday unless some other user has an idea?

Ah, I had missed that, Virginia. I see from her earlier post that you are right. Hmmm... then this seems to fall under the issues of getting PDF to work. Still might need help from Support.

Laura,

You will need to get the PDF driver properly installed to generate any Pedigree charts, and Support should be able to help you with that. Until you get the PDF working for Pedigree charts, you may want to generate a different report to a file. I would suggest a Journal report of the same person you were going to do the Pedigree. You can set its Options for ancestors for some number of generations. I agree it is not the same as the Pedigree chart, but at least it should produce a file of similar data to a Pedigree to share with your fellow researcher.

Hope this gives you ideas,

The only 'Pedigree' print option is pdf. The 'Pedigree - Compressed' print options are the full list. (go figure.)

As a side note: To restore the default font, pitch, etc. of any report select the default report and click delete. TMG will tell you you can't delete a default report but do you want to reset the defaults. Click 'yes' and the defaults are restored.

hung up screen-shot

no conversion screen-shot

I, too, have tried steps 1-15 on my new Windows 7 x86 (32-bit) machine running TMG ver. 7 but am unsuccessful in getting reports output to Adobe PDF. The above links to my Public dropbox show screen-shots of my results.

I, of course, can output to my default printer and then print & scan the document and ultimately get to a PDF... but what a pain!

WHOLLY GENES: please fix this problem! :angry:

It's not clear where this is coming from and doesn't appear to be a printer driver installation issue.

You do not have the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 selected as the printer driver in File / Printer Setup, do you? It should never be selected as the printer driver (in TMG or at a system level).

The PDF driver is permanently installed? It should be.

File / Printer Setup / [install PDF printer]

The report output is set to Acrobat (PDF), right?

You haven't previously created the report and have it open in Adobe reader or an equivalent?

It's hard to 'fix' this problem when the nature of the proiblem isn't clear. TMG8 uses an updated version of the PDF printer driver which resolves the WinVista/Win7 installation issues and bugs.

I, too, have tried steps 1-15 on my new Windows 7 x86 (32-bit) machine running TMG ver. 7 but am unsuccessful in getting reports output to Adobe PDF.

Note that steps 1-15 apply to 64-bit machines, not 32-bit.

You might try resetting the report definition to its defaults (use the Delete button under the configuration name).

Virginia

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I just tried to install the pdf driver. Everything went fine up to step 18. There is no "ports" tab. Just "general" and "Hardware". Perhaps this is because I have no physical printer connected? When I tried TMG to create a pdf report, PMG hung. What next?

You opened the "Properties", not the "Printer Properties". Please look at the PDF driver right-click menu carefully and follow the instructions exactly.

:angry::angry: At the risk of appearing stupid, will someone please tell me where the 18+ step Jim Byram pdf install instructions are!!!

:angry::angry: At the risk of appearing stupid, will someone please tell me where the 18+ step Jim Byram pdf install instructions are!!!

It is a 'pinned message' (a message of importance) at the top of the forum section on The Master Genealogist v7 here.

Virginia

Hi,

I too have had issues with the 64-bit computer. I do now have them appearing in the report writing phase as a PDF. However, when I am trying to add my sources as Endnotes, they are created but the PDF only shows the report (for example - a descendant narrative of four pages). I must confess I have not been a PDF user before always tryiong to write a report in WORDtill this 64-bit issue. But the endnotes do not appear, only the report. It does appear they are there because when I exit it says the endnotes on in a cumulative list and they will be erased. Any idea where they are hiding.

Thanks Karen

But the endnotes do not appear, only the report. It does appear they are there because when I exit it says the endnotes on in a cumulative list and they will be erased. Any idea where they are hiding.

You need to follow the report with an Endnotes report. This will produce a second report with the endnotes.

With the different report engine in TMG8, the PDF report will include the endnotes.

But the endnotes do not appear, only the report. It does appear they are there because when I exit it says the endnotes on in a cumulative list and they will be erased. Any idea where they are hiding.

You need to follow the report with an Endnotes report. This will produce a second report with the endnotes.

With the different report engine in TMG8, the PDF report will include the endnotes.

Thanks Jim, Works a charm.

Hi Jim, I've done all this, but in getting to the last stage I find the printer as "Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3. In right-clicking on the effigy and choosing properties I only find 2 tabs: General (my translation, German version of Win 7 says Allgemein) and Hardware. There is no third tab called Ports. I have tried the new settings without solving this last step. My attempt to send a compressed pedigree to a PDF files again ended in a paralysed pc. So here I am, almost paralysed too. How can I go on? Peter

Here I am again. I got my problem solved. I had chosen properties instead of printer properties, a tiny but decisive difference. I found the hint in another thread here, not being the only one who was mistaken in this respect. Thanks for an excellent step-by-step description how to get to a PDF-based pedigree. Peter