JohnR

External exhibits not seen by TMG

I moved my external drive upon which TMG and its exhibits (as well as Second Site and its exhibits) sit. I duly changed the drive allocation letter in preferences for both the project and the exhibits but when backing up TMG reports no exhibits found and the log tells me that it is still looking at the old drive letter. Which of us is being more stupid - TMG or me?

John,

I think that it is a case of changing the preferences, but forgetting that all of your exhibits are still pointing to the old location, so to the program they don't exist. If you run a VFI, and add the new drive path that you changed toit should fix the missing exhibit problem and thereafter find the exhibits for the backup.

Hope this helps.

Dave

I moved my external drive upon which TMG and its exhibits (as well as Second Site and its exhibits) sit. I duly changed the drive allocation letter in preferences for both the project and the exhibits but when backing up TMG reports no exhibits found and the log tells me that it is still looking at the old drive letter. Which of us is being more stupid - TMG or me?

Read the 'Moving Exhibits' help topic. Basically, you run File / Mainrenance / Validate File Integrity and use the external exhibits feature to update the exhibit links.

Thank you, that seems to have solved the problem but it doesn't answer the question as to which of us is more stupid. I hope that TMG 8 is going to make allowances for those few of us who are dimmer than it is <_<

John,

I'm not sure what could be done better, other than perhaps better labeling. The drive letter you changed in Preferences is the default folder for exhibits. That means that's the folder TMG opens when you ask it to attach a new exhibit, and where exhibits are saved by default when you scan them from within TMG. The exhibits can actually be saved most any place. Many users have their exhibits in various locations, most commonly a tree of folders I expect, not in a single folder. So it is not possible to make a single change in Preferences and expect it to be able to address all existing exhibits.

On the other hand, I think the labeling, and even Help, do not do the best job. The field is labeled "Exhibit folder" in Preferences, when it is really the "Default Exhibit Folder." Help doesn't make this any more clear. I'll suggest some improvements on that score.