pktropics

Converting Reference field to custom Tag

I'm pretty sure I know what the answer to this is going to be! But worth a try anyhow!

I recently imported a new dataset via GEDCOM from Brothers Keeper. The original had non-unique data in the Reference field, which came across into the TMG Reference field. This data should be in a custom Tag rather than the Ref. field. There are about 1400 instances. Is there a way of converting? I've looked at TMG Utility, but can't see that it helps.

pktropics

pk

You can use the utility. Look at the help under "Events, Add Events".

From your existing data you should be able to output a list of people report showing their tmg id and your imported ref field. Save the report as a text file and then edit it based on the TMG Utility rules for adding events from an external file.

It looks a bit daunting but it isn't that difficult once you work through it. Try it with a small test file first.

pk

You can use the utility. Look at the help under "Events, Add Events".

From your existing data you should be able to output a list of people report showing their tmg id and your imported ref field. Save the report as a text file and then edit it based on the TMG Utility rules for adding events from an external file.

It looks a bit daunting but it isn't that difficult once you work through it. Try it with a small test file first.

Neil,

Many thanks, that worked a treat. I was able to generate a list of people report with the necessary 8 tabbed field by entering dummy fields in the Output Columns and then doing some straightforward find and replacing on the text file to empty all but the ID and Reference fields before going through the TMGU routine.

I then used TMGU Find and Replace to delete the original Reference field contents.

pktropics