kaye

Program becoming unstable

I went back to V4 to record data as I like it much much better. I will transfer to V6 soon. But suddenly in a journal narrative report I noticed I was missing 5 people. This has never happened before. On investigation I found that some of my names in the family view have no primary tag (astrix) next to name and children are not numbered. There is just a question mark. This is happening in at least 5 of 9 names. Then suddenly, when I am not even doing anything a name will dissapear from the screen (child in family view) until I right click on the space to get it back. So this is visually happening in front of me. I cant recall seeing the missing tags before. Forgetting all but the basic features,which is all I use, what am I actually looking for in the manual to see if I can rectify this. If I go into edit and "make primary" I find it is not relevant for that action.

On the bottom of my screen in the tool bar I have a message at different times "double click to draw a screen around this person" and " click on a tab or use the view menu to draw a screen around this person". It doesnt say which person and no idea what this means and who for. Is it relevant?

Looking at my data only my first family (1) has children numbered. As i said I dint know how long I have had this. i need to stabilise before I transfer data which wont be for a few weeks.

please advise

Kaye -

The message 'draw a screen around this person' sounds like it is coming from some kind of screen-draw software. Have you installed anything like that recently? Check the Window Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) to see if a program like that is running and if so, try shutting it down to see if that is conflicting with TMG.

What operating system are you using?

Virginia

Hi Jim

I am using Windos XP2 with three updates. I dont want to change because I wont be able to run a lot of my programmes.

cheers

Hello Virginia

i am using XP3. No the message is in the toolbar of the programme. It looks like the programme and it is the line that has the time. But not the explorer time. Is it a tip I wonder. Maybe these messages hae always been there. No I havent downloaded anything at all. Just the latest acrobat reader yesterday.

But my main trouble is to find a way of getting an astrix in the name box sin family view.

may thanks

If you are working in v4, why did you post this in the v6 forum?

Becaue there is no one monitoring V4 and I hoped Virginia would answer. Most V6 people wuould have used V4.

Kaye -

If the problem coincided with the update to Acrobat Reader, I'd start by closing that program if it is in your taskbar, then closing and reopening TMG v4. You don't need to have Acrobat Reader running all the time in order to read documents.

I don't see how the messages in the taskbar could be related to v4; they sound more like something you'd get from a screen capture or drawing software. Have you happened to notice whether you are using a keyboard shortcut in TMG at the time the message pops up?

Virginia

Becaue there is no one monitoring V4 ...
Why do you say that Kaye? I read every post to every section, and I suspect most of the moderators and many of the other experienced users do too. I think there may not be responses to some questions there because nobody remembers those details, and most of us no longer have v4 installed.

Hello Virginia

No it is definately and clearly part of the interface of TMG. I have no other programme that the meesage would be applicable to. I shoudn't have said toolbar. It is at the borrom of the page in TMG. No I only downloaded the Reader yesterday but I did the report printout a few days ago and noticed the missing people. reader is never open. There are no other programmes open except TMGW, this one and explorer.

I just went in to do a report and the message changed to "enter the destination data set". So it is a TMGW prompt.

It is the journal narrative I am doing (custom). Now I just did one line and it was ok. I then did another report for the one I had trouble with before and it jumps from person (child)number 1 to person 5. So in the family view screen I see there is no astrix against child 1 and 3 and 5 and 6. So this doesnt seem to be a related problem.

I am using Windows XP 3.

So the above is a REAL problem. What my concern is in the way in which the names dissapear and also why not all of them have an astrix. Why is this and how can I fix it.? I cant find anything in the manual as I dont know what to look for. I want to get this right so that I can transfer to V6

I havent used this type of report for a few weeks and there doesnt appear to be any problem doing descendants indented charts. I just did one for the same family missing the names and it is ok. So astrix is not the problem, maybe it is something to do with journal narrative (custom) report.

Oh and I did a repair and no problems.

<notice whether you are using a keyboard shortcut in TMG at the time the message pops up? > No never use shortcuts and it doesnt actaully pop up. it is just there in the line and i think we can now agree they are just TMG prompts.

kind regards

kaye

VirginiakayePosted Today, 01:18 PM QUOTE (Jim Byram @ 18 Jan 2010, 06:59 AM) post_snapback.gifIf you are working in v4, why did you post this in the v6 forum?

Becaue there is no one monitoring V4 and I hoped Virginia would answer. Most V6 people wuould have used V4.kayePosted Today, 01:15 PM Hello Virginia

i am using XP3. No the message is in the toolbar of the programme. It looks like the programme and it is the line that has the time. But not the explorer time. Is it a tip I wonder. Maybe these messages hae always been there. No I havent downloaded anything at all. Just the latest acrobat reader yesterday.

But my main trouble is to find a way of getting an astrix in the name box sin family view.

may thankskayePosted Today, 01:09 PM QUOTE (Virginia Blakelock @ 18 Jan 2010, 05:48 AM) post_snapback.gifKaye -

The message 'draw a screen around this person' sounds like it is coming from some kind of screen-draw software. Have you installed anything like that recently? Check the Window Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) to see if a program like that is running and if so, try shutting it down to see if that is conflicting with TMG.

VirginiakayePosted Today, 01:07 PM Hi Jim

I am using Windos XP2 with three updates. I dont want to change because I wont be able to run a lot of my programmes.

cheersJim ByramPosted Today, 06:59 AM If you are working in v4, why did you post this in the v6 forum?Virginia BlakelockPosted Today, 05:48 AM Kaye -

VirginiakayePosted Today, 04:42 AM I went back to V4 to record data as I like it much much better. I will transfer to V6 soon. But suddenly in a journal narrative report I noticed I was missing 5 people. This has never happened before. On investigation I found that some of my names in the family view have no primary tag (astrix) next to name and children are not numbered. There is just a question mark. This is happening in at least 5 of 9 names. Then suddenly, when I am not even doing anything a name will dissapear from the screen (child in family view) until I right click on the space to get it back. So this is visually happening in front of me. I cant recall seeing the missing tags before. Forgetting all but the basic features,which is all I use, what am I actually looking for in the manual to see if I can rectify this. If I go into edit and "make primary" I find it is not relevant for that action.

On the bottom of my screen in the tool bar I have a message at different times "double click to draw a screen around this person" and " click on a tab or use the view menu to draw a screen around this person". It doesnt say which person and no idea what this means and who for. Is it relevant?

Looking at my data only my first family (1) has children numbered. As i said I dint know how long I have had this. i need to stabilise before I transfer data which wont be for a few weeks.

please adviseReview the complete topic (launches new window) English Lo-Fi VersionTime is now: 18 January 2010 - 05:35 PM//