• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Computers, hiking, formal shooting competition

Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:31 AM

When I respond to a message -- or write a new one, as now -- the cursor does not show up in the message window and doesn't seem to be placeable by the mouse. Is it just me? Have I missed a setting of some kind. My browser is Firefox 3.6.

formerprof

#2 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:46 AM

I am using Firefox 3.6 and do not have the problem. Are you using a Rich Text Editor add-on with Firefox? If so, try without it.

Virginia
Win7 Professional x64

#3 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:36 AM

I sometimes see a problem with the edit cursor where I can't click to the end of a line to place it. It appears on the next line and I have to move it with the vector keys.

#4 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:43 AM

I sometimes see a problem with the edit curson where I can't click to the end of a line to place it. It appears on the next line and I have to move it with the vector keys.

I think I'm having Jim's problem. To place the insert point below the quote I have to double-click & I still don't see a cursor (except for myself, of course -- or should that be curser?).

Not using Rich Text Editor in Firefox . . .

I do see that Office 2007 has added some kind of plug in. I'll try to disable that and report back.

formerprof

#5 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:45 AM

disabling the plug-in didn't help.

Thanks for the suggestions -- I may have to play with this for a while to see what the problem is. Next experiment is to try IE 8.

formerprof

#6 Jim Byram

Jim Byram
  • Moderators
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:39 AM

I'm using IE8.

#7 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

I'm using IE8.

How awkward & embarassing. I just got home & IE8 works fine. Firefox 3.6 does not (at least for me. Apparently it works OK for Virginia.) I'll shoot a note to Mozilla and see if this can be figured out.

Thanks to you both.

formerprof

#8 JohnR

JohnR
  • Senior Members
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, rhododendrons, lepidoptera

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:19 AM

I had a similar problem last week when I tried to post in TMG 7. My cursor incorporated itself in the letter I was typing, I lost the left and right keys and the ability to insert, in fact it was like using a DOS editor, all I could do was type and use the back delete. To top it all, my question didn't get posted! I am using FF 3.6 and everything is behaving today.

#9 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:19 AM

I had a similar problem last week when I tried to post in TMG 7. My cursor incorporated itself in the letter I was typing, I lost the left and right keys and the ability to insert, in fact it was like using a DOS editor, all I could do was type and use the back delete. To top it all, my question didn't get posted! I am using FF 3.6 and everything is behaving today.

This is exactly the problem I am experiencing with Firefox 3.6. You've described it much better than I have. I reported it to Mozilla on the form they provide for websites that don't work properly, but I have no idea how much attention they pay to those reports. I've not been so fortunate as you -- everything is NOT behaving today.

All good wishes.

formerprof

#10 JohnR

JohnR
  • Senior Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:57 AM

I am trying to post a question on the TMG 7 and I again have no cursor, no editing controls etc as mentioned previously. Its fine here in this forum.
I have just gone back to try again and I have a cursor and full edit in the two heading boxes but not in the main box. There has to be something that doesn't like FF 3.6 on that panel. I shall now compose my question off line and post it.

John

Edited by JohnR, 08 February 2010 - 05:01 AM.

#11 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:47 AM

The problem may relate to the rich text editor. Try switching to Standard Editing mode. I have no problem using that.

My Controls > Options > Board settings. Right bottom of screen > Type of text editor to use when posting > use Standard Editor.

Virginia
Win7 Professional x64

#12 JohnR

JohnR
  • Senior Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:55 AM

The problem may relate to the rich text editor. Try switching to Standard Editing mode. I have no problem using that.

My Controls > Options > Board settings. Right bottom of screen > Type of text editor to use when posting > use Standard Editor.

Virginia

Thank you, that works - now I can return to asking loads of daft questions to which the answer should be RTFM

#13 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:26 AM

Virginia

Works for me too, Virginia. Thanks so much.

Robert

#14 Virginia Blakelock

Virginia Blakelock
  • Moderators
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:45 AM

Are all of you using Vista or Win7 by chance? x64?

Virginia
Win7 Professional x64

#15 JohnR

JohnR
  • Senior Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:12 AM

Virginia

No, on this computer I still run that old XP and I wish my laptop did as well! The problem here seemed to start when I down-loaded the beta version of Firefox 3.6 which is I think the current version of the release.

#16 Robert Jacobs

Robert Jacobs
  • Senior Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:40 AM

Virginia

Windows 7 64-bit for me, Virginia -- and Firefox 3.6. I didn't have this problem under Firefox 3.5.7 or IE8. I reported it to Mozilla, but have had no response.

Robert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users