ricko

Feature request- Sort Order

Hi-

There are a number of windows that have a sort order option. (for example, the focus group).

I would very much like to a see a sort option called "order entered".

This sort order would simply leave the items in the same order that they were created.

In the focus group, I could add a person to the group and be assured that it will sort to the end of the list. This would help me keep track of where I am after a distraction, it would also let me find an eroneously added person whose name I didn't see: that person will be at the end.

Hi-

There are a number of windows that have a sort order option. (for example, the focus group).

I would very much like to a see a sort option called "order entered".

This sort order would simply leave the items in the same order that they were created.

In the focus group, I could add a person to the group and be assured that it will sort to the end of the list. This would help me keep track of where I am after a distraction, it would also let me find an eroneously added person whose name I didn't see: that person will be at the end.

You can sort the project explorer by ID number -- your last entry will always be at the end of the list unless you have filled in vacant numbers manually or renumbered for some reason.

The more I use TMG the more I appreciate the power of its design. Again, good wishes.

formerprof

Thanks-

but I'd like to make clear that sorting by ID number is not what I asked for.

That doesn't work for people in focus group.

You can sort the project explorer by ID number -- your last entry will always be at the end of the list unless you have filled in vacant numbers manually or renumbered for some reason.

Hi Richard,

I think I understand your wish? Specifically for the Focus Group, since there are a variety of ways to Add people to the group, you are asking for a sort option to simply put the new additions to the group at the bottom? Hmmm... that might be very useful when working through the database or the Project Explorer and selectively adding more and more people to the Focus Group. Don't know what Wholly Genes would say, but I could hope/imagine that this order might already be (internally) available as "unsorted" and perhaps easy to implement. A valid wish. This Forum is the right place to post such wishes, and now us users can only hope that Wholly Genes will consider it for a future release.

Thanks-

but I'd like to make clear that sorting by ID number is not what I asked for.

That doesn't work for people in focus group.

One can in fact sort people by ID number in the focus group window -- there's a "Sort order" drop down at the top & ID number is one of the choices.

formerprof

One can in fact sort people by ID number in the focus group window -- there's a "Sort order" drop down at the top & ID number is one of the choices.

Yes but that's not what he asked for. He asked for an 'usorted' option (i.e., record order).

Yes but that's not what he asked for. He asked for an 'usorted' option (i.e., record order).

Hi, Jim. Isn't that what he gets if he doesn't change the numbering scheme?

formerprof

I have no idea what that means. The Focus Group has three sort alternatives... ID, surname and given name. It must be sorted by one of those.

I have no idea what that means. The Focus Group has three sort alternatives... ID, surname and given name. It must be sorted by one of those.

In the original post ricko wrote "I would very much like to a see a sort option called "order entered".

In the focus group, I could add a person to the group and be assured that it will sort to the end of the list. This would help me keep track of where I am after a distraction, it would also let me find an eroneously added person whose name I didn't see: that person will be at the end."

Am I incorrect that the ID numbers reflect the order in which people are entered? The last person entered would have the highest number. I thought that's what ricko wanted. If not, I've misunderstood completely.

formerprof

Edited by formerprof

formerprof -

Put it in the context of the Focus Group as Ricko did. The FG has 3 sorts: Surname, Given Name, ID number. Now add an individual to that Focus Group. That person will sort not to the bottom of the existing list but to whichever of the 3 sorts is enabled. So, for example, if you are interrupted while adding a series of people, it is not immediately obvious whether you added the last person you intended.

Virginia

formerprof -

Put it in the context of the Focus Group as Ricko did. The FG has 3 sorts: Surname, Given Name, ID number. Now add an individual to that Focus Group. That person will sort not to the bottom of the existing list but to whichever of the 3 sorts is enabled. So, for example, if you are interrupted while adding a series of people, it is not immediately obvious whether you added the last person you intended.

Virginia

Dear Virginia,

Got it, many thanks.

formerprof

Thanks all.

This discussion was very illuminating in showing how many ways my request could be read.

You figured it out.

Next time, I'll be more verbose.