maska

import from Brother's Keeper

I am surprise to find out that Bk does not figure on the list. Then what should I know befor transfer?

maska -

I was not sure whether you intended your message to be posted in the Practice forum, but it appeared to be a request for information so I moved it to the TMG v7 forum. Let us know if that was not your intent.

Virginia

You transfer BK to TMG using a GEDCOM.

You should import the GEDCOM using the Advanced Import Wizard so that you can save non-standard, custom and Event Misc GEDCOM tags as custom TMG tag types. You should not try to reassign Standard GEDCOM tags other than the Event Misc tags.

You might want to tick the 'assume marriage of parents' option. Otherwise, TMG will only create Marriage tag when a Marriage tag actually exists in the GEDCOM family record.

Thank you. I must try in order to find out about the advantages of TMG over BK. In the meantime I suppose both program and their complete data can cohabit together on the same PC witout any problem.

Can I ask you one more question about the TMG in relation with the French culture of Québec. Is it completely respectfull despite the fact it is translated in french?

The program has a French language setting for using the program functions in French.

File / Language / select French

There are also French translations of the tag types. When you add custom tag types, you need to make sure that the English settings for the tag type are completed as well as the French settings. You'll see a list box for switching between the two on the Tag Type Definition screen.

Any user data that you enter in French will be saved as entered. The program does not translate user data.

It is best to use the program in one language rather than trying to maintain the user data in two languages.

Terry reigel's article on using languages will be of help.

http://tmg.reigelridge.com/Language.htm