wrichards

Journal Report Problem

I do not often run Journal Reports so I do not know how long I have had this problem. I am using TMG 7.04 running on Windows 7, 32 bit home edition. When I tried to run a descendant Jounal report for my grandfather the progress screen came up with the message "Calculating text for 105 people". The progress bar never moved and 0% was displayed. After about 20 minutes I decided nothing was going to happen. When I clicked on the screen I got the message "The Master Genealogist is not responding". I closed the program and tried again.

I found out that for some people the Journal Report does work. It does not seem to work for my parents or my paternal grandparents if they are included in the report. The Descendant Indented Narrative Report does not work either for the same persons and the progress screen is only partially displayed. I was able to display the descendant Journal Report for all my parents siblings but not the ancestor Jounal Report.

I have spent many hours today trying to see if I could isolate the problem to some specific individuals but could not seem to do so. Since I could not get the Jounal Report to work for my father either ancestor or descendant but could get the decendant Journal report to work for his siblings, I deleted him from the data and reran the siblings ancestor Journal Report. TMG again froze. It would appear to be a data problem because of the nature of the errors but I cannot find anything that seems wrong.

I did Reindex, Optimize, and run VFI until there were no errors reported.

Does anybody have an ideas what is happening or are there any error reporting logs I can access. Would reloading the program help.

Even if I don't run Jounal Report often I do want that capability. The Individual Narrative reports were fine so everything works in Second Site.

Thanks for any assistance

Bill Richards

I did some more testing on my Journal Reports and found the following today. I had the box "blanks for missing data" checked. I unchecked that box to simplify the report. The reports now seem to work for everybody. I was able to run an ancestry Journal Report on myself for 16 generations and 5244 persons which took about 10-15 minutes to run. I went back and tried it again with the "blanks for missing data" checked for 1 generation. The program displayed "Calculating text for 12 people" and was 12% complete thirty minutes later. When I unchecked the box the display was almost immediate.

Why does selecting "blanks for missing data" cause the program to freeze for some people. What could be different about the data that would cause that problem.

Bill Richards

I did some more testing on my Journal Reports and found the following today. I had the box "blanks for missing data" checked. I unchecked that box to simplify the report. The reports now seem to work for everybody. I was able to run an ancestry Journal Report on myself for 16 generations and 5244 persons which took about 10-15 minutes to run. I went back and tried it again with the "blanks for missing data" checked for 1 generation. The program displayed "Calculating text for 12 people" and was 12% complete thirty minutes later. When I unchecked the box the display was almost immediate.

Why does selecting "blanks for missing data" cause the program to freeze for some people. What could be different about the data that would cause that problem.

Bill Richards

Bill,

I had same kind of problems earlier.

In my case I had some corrupted data in event detail field.

Peter (Finland)

PS. Used to live in Pacific Palisades at mid 80's. Hopefully it is still as beautifull as it used to be. Lucky you!

Bill Richards

Bill,

Peter (Finland)

PS. Used to live in Pacific Palisades at mid 80's. Hopefully it is still as beautifull as it used to be. Lucky you!

Sorry, but it was "Citation detail field".

Peter

Bill,

Peter (Finland)

Sorry, but it was "Citation detail field".

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for your response. I will check my "Citation Details". I know I have some long ones because when I first started I would put the text of an article in the CD. I now just attach it as an exhibit.

I moved to the Palisades in 1979 so we must have overlapped a bit. I love looking at the ocean and mountains while working at the computer. Also watching the deer to make sure they don't eat the roses.

Bill