JohnR

Undated tags causing problems

In November 2006 I posted a query under the above title, which does not seem to have been resolved nor taken up as a bug because it couldn't be reproduced.

In essence SOMETIMES when I have a person's data starting with an undated tag his name is suppressed when sent to various reports. e.g. An individual narrative report that should read "Morris Thomas Knevitt (id no). Revenue Officer in Australia. The marriage of Morris Thomas Knevitt etc..... in fact reads

Revenue Officer in Australia. The marriage etc.....

In order to see how widespread this problem might be (remember it hasn't bothered me for a couple of years!) I ran a filter for all people with this tag which came to over 1200 and starting from the top of the list and looking at the individual narrative report they all seemed to display correctly until I came to a person with the undated tag and NO birth or death date which displayed with the tag but NO name. I then returned to the top of the list and this time and this time they ALL displayed incorrectly.

??

John

1) The first thing to check is the surety settings in the reports.

Options / General tab

Make sure that the radio button is set to 'No Threshold' and that the 'Include blank surety' checkbox is selected.

2) If that doesn't resolve the issue, reset the report configuration by clicking the [Delete] button on the Report Definition Screen and then run the default report to see what happens.

[Corrected.]

Edited by Jim Byram

1) The first thing to check is the surety settings in the reports.

Options / General tab

Make sure that the radio button is set to 'Threshold 0' and that the 'Include blank surety' checkbox is selected.

2) If that doesn't resolve the issue, reset the report configuration by clicking the [Delete] button on the Report Definition Screen and then run the default report to see what happens.

1. All my reports are set as you suggest because I don't use that facility

2. Done that, no difference

John,

We would need more exact and complete information for any of us users to try to help. Could you copy and paste the sentence for your Revenue Officer tag and provide the information you put in its various tag fields? Also, could you check what tag would output in the Individual Narrative immediately before/in front of this Revenue Officer tag and provide those same details. Sometimes a tag can affect what will output for the very next tag. The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that there might be some special non-printable characters in either the Revenue Officer tag or the tag in front, usually in a Memo field. You might copy your Memo text and paste it into "Notepad" which usually shows any such special characters.

My bad. Virginia is right... 'No threshold'.

And as Michael says, there is a tag before the tag with 'Revenue Officer' that is the likely source of the problem.

My bad. Virginia is right... 'No threshold'.

And as Michael says, there is a tag before the tag with 'Revenue Officer' that is the likely source of the problem.

It is the first tag and I think that I have found the problem in that the sentence construction for that tag contained no [P]. But for some reason this doesn't always bother TMG and it sometimes sticks the name in!

Thanks for all your efforts.

It is the first tag and I think that I have found the problem in that the sentence construction for that tag contained no [P]. But for some reason this doesn't always bother TMG and it sometimes sticks the name in!

TMG always starts narrative reports with the name of the focus person. If the Sentence of the first Tag doesn't start with [P] or [P+] the name is placed in front of the output from the first tag, followed by the ID#, generation number, etc. according to the report settings, and a period.

TMG always starts narrative reports with the name of the focus person. If the Sentence of the first Tag doesn't start with [P] or [P+] the name is placed in front of the output from the first tag, followed by the ID#, generation number, etc. according to the report settings, and a period.

Well it's not doing it. It didn't like a first tag being<[M]> <[L]> <[D]> It left the name out, but if I have custom altered the sentence to <[M]> <[D]> <in [L]> then the name goes in, so now I am going through hundreds of tags changing the sentence to [P]. <[M]> <of [L]> <[D]> Some intermittent problem is causing it to drop the person's name if the first tag hasn't got a [P] :wacko: