fUlrich

Dual Monitor problem

I have two monitors that I use for many different programs.

I sometimes, depending on the project tasks, put TMG on either Mon.#1 or Mon.# 2.

Recently whenever I start TMG it always goes over to Mon #2 whether I have #2 turned off or not.

(When I say turned off I mean AC power turned off and Windows XP set to one monitor)

So if all is "turned off", to see the program, I must turn on Mon.#2 and reset XP to the dual monitor setting and then I can move TMG to Mon.#1. The next time it starts up it goes back to #2...

None of the other programs Adobe, MS Office, Browsers, etc have this problem.....

I have TMG 7.04 and other then this problem TMG acts fine with the Dual monitors..

I tried Preferences->Program Options-> Other ->checking and unchecking "allow multiple monitors" but didn't seem to change anything.

Thanks in advance

Fred

Fred,

Under display settings in windows, which monitor is marked, THIS IS MY PRIMARY MONITOR? I suspect that TMG thinks that #2 is the primary monitor for some reason and that is why it is trying to always open there. Not sure how a non-primary monitor could get turned off, but somehow TMG thinks it's the main monitor. I use two monitors all the time, but I use TMG on #1 and everything else on #2, so I never have this issue. Everything else know if #2 is turned off, to open on #1.

Fred,

Under display settings in windows, which monitor is marked, THIS IS MY PRIMARY MONITOR? I suspect that TMG thinks that #2 is the primary monitor for some reason and that is why it is trying to always open there. Not sure how a non-primary monitor could get turned off, but somehow TMG thinks it's the main monitor. I use two monitors all the time, but I use TMG on #1 and everything else on #2, so I never have this issue. Everything else now if #2 is turned off, to open on #1.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I got the problem fixed last night ....

Reading up on the net I found that the the 2nd monitor being the default is more of a windows thing... using a generic windows driver for the Duel application.

Anyway I cant explain each step but will take notes the next time and update this for anyone which may run into the same problem.

Essentially I moved the TMG program to display on Monitor 1 ...and some how (this is what I will note) I had to save I think the "toolbar settings". A window came up and I gave it a file name hit ok , and exited the program ....I started the program up and the program was on the correct monitor...

Again thanks

Fred

Fred,

This Dual Monitor issue used to drive me mad, I had similar problems, particularly with Outlook, and different programs seem to react differently. I then discovered this on a forum somewhere which seems to work in most instances (XP still for me).

- open your program, ensure it is NOT maximised

- drag it to the screen you want it on.

- close program

(windows only seems to save the last "screen" when NOT maximised)

- open program again, it should open in last closed NOT maximised screen.

- if you want your program maximised, now is the time to do it.

- close program again

- open program again and its window should now start in the last NOT maximised screen, with the last maximised or NOT maximised setup.

Hope my extended instructions make sense, but there seems to be 2 principles.

1. windows only seems to save the last "screen" when NOT maximised.

2. windows will always remember the last Maximised or NOT Maximised setting.

Despite this some programs will not work on second screen (my old version of ABBYY screenshot reader), and some will not drag to the second screen (I think Video Studio).

It's simple when you've been shown it, and it's easy to see how you can upset it by accident. You would think there was a setting. No idea if it is easier for Windows 7.

Jim Orrell

Fred,

This Dual Monitor issue used to drive me mad, I had similar problems, particularly with Outlook, and different programs seem to react differently. I then discovered this on a forum somewhere which seems to work in most instances (XP still for me).

- open your program, ensure it is NOT maximised

- drag it to the screen you want it on.

- close program

(windows only seems to save the last "screen" when NOT maximised)

- open program again, it should open in last closed NOT maximised screen.

- if you want your program maximised, now is the time to do it.

- close program again

- open program again and its window should now start in the last NOT maximised screen, with the last maximised or NOT maximised setup.

Hope my extended instructions make sense, but there seems to be 2 principles.

1. windows only seems to save the last "screen" when NOT maximised.

2. windows will always remember the last Maximised or NOT Maximised setting.

Despite this some programs will not work on second screen (my old version of ABBYY screenshot reader), and some will not drag to the second screen (I think Video Studio).

It's simple when you've been shown it, and it's easy to see how you can upset it by accident. You would think there was a setting. No idea if it is easier for Windows 7.

Jim Orrell

Windows 7 is excellent in this respect. Programs reopen on the monitor and at the size they were when last closed. It's a great way to work on TMG as one's browser or word processor can be open on one side and TMG on the other & neither are cramped for space. It is still the case that a maximized program can't be dragged to the other screen & must be set for less than full-screen first.

In XP the controls for this used to be part of the video driver if I remember aright. In Win 7 it's entirely an operating system function, at least with Nvdia graphics cards.

Robert