NormSanford

Descendancy Report Spouse Information

In using the Descendant Indented Narrriative Report I have been unable to figure out how to include Spouse birth & death information along with that of the descendant. My previous experience goes back to the Commsoft ROOTS days when I used the Register Report Format and always included in the printout not ouly spouse information, but the spouse parent and grandparent information. When I set up the Report to include spouses or spouses and a couple generation of ancestors, it results in multiple pages of mini descendancy reports, and does not provide a single integrated descendancy report. I've tried multiple combinations of Report Configuration with no luck and I haven't as of yet seen the topic in an FAQ.

Thanks

Norm,

I use the Journal Report rather than the DIN for the reasons that you have highlighted. The DIN has some shortcomings.

Hi Neil,

I've gone through and tried all 4 of the Journal Report options (NEHGR, NGSQ, TAG, & Custom) for generating a Descendants Report, and I must be missing something, because in each case I fail to get the spouse information to print out in the report. I even tried a Journal Report with a Filtered Group setting the filter up as "Is a descendant of ID#" and then checking the box "And then add their Spouses". In my small test case I have a Focus ID person, with 7 descendants, and when adding spouses I get another 8 people. The register report without spouses is slightly over 1 page and is in good format. When I add spouses, rather than the spouse information adding as a paragraph under each line descendant, the report breaks out into 11 pages with each page being the start of a different focus purson out of the group. For a comparision, I did the same thing with a small test group in Family Tree Maker and it gave results similar to ROOTS in that there is a spouse information paragraph added underneath each of the direct line descendants opening paragraph.

Am I missing something in the set-up of the Journal Report options, or is this just not a TMG capability?

Thanks,

Norm

Options

General tab / Style / select Custom format

Miscellaneous tab / Format / select 'Include spouse events'

The point of the Custom style is that it allows you to change the report options. The other styles have pre-set report options. None of the pre-determined styles have 'Include spouse events' enabled.

The subject of a Journal report should typically be one person. If you have multiple people as subjects (as you tried), you are, in effect, creating multiple reports... one for each subject selected. This is another way of saying that you can't control which people appear in a Journal report by selecting multiple subjects.

Thanks Jim,

Now I see what happened - when I tried the other report styles, they cleared the "Include spouse events" check box on the Miscellaneous page, so when I went to Custom I needed to check the "Include spouse events"! Now I'm getting the spouse paragraph included after the direct line descendant! I'm glad it was my report options set-up and not a limitation of TMG. I've been overlooking this setup option a long time!

Thanks,

Norm