mikefox@satx.rr.com

Keeping 15 people out of reports

I've got a lot of people in TMG and recently a 7th cousin has asked me to keep everyone in just her line after 1900 (about 15 people) out of any reports. I want to honor her request. Could anyone tell me where to find the instructions to do this that would apply to TMG and also Second Site.

Teresa is right about TMG reports - the most reliable way to exclude a branch is to make the Parent/Child tags connecting that branch to the rest of the family non-primary - that is, unlink them. However, they will still appear in any event tags they share with others who you do include - for example in a census tag in which they appear as children in the household of their parents.

Second Site offers considerably more control over which people are included in a site. For example, you can use a Flag to control who is included, and then you have a number of options about under which conditions, if any, the names of people who are excluded may appear in connection with pages for others who are included.

Teresa is right about TMG reports - the most reliable way to exclude a branch is to make the Parent/Child tags connecting that branch to the rest of the family non-primary - that is, unlink them. However, they will still appear in any event tags they share with others who you do include - for example in a census tag in which they appear as children in the household of their parents.

Second Site offers considerably more control over which people are included in a site. For example, you can use a Flag to control who is included, and then you have a number of options about under which conditions, if any, the names of people who are excluded may appear in connection with pages for others who are included.

So it sounds like I can set a special flag in TMG for people who should not appear and use a filter in Second Site to prevent them from appearing an on-line version open to the public. Can you steer me to a particular area in how to use Second Site in this fashion and give any other potential problems such as you mentioned with census entries. It would be unacceptable to my cousin if anyone could do a google search for one of these people and be directed to my future web site. Thanks for your help.

So it sounds like I can set a special flag in TMG for people who should not appear and use a filter in Second Site to prevent them from appearing an on-line version open to the public. Can you steer me to a particular area in how to use Second Site in this fashion and give any other potential problems such as you mentioned with census entries. It would be unacceptable to my cousin if anyone could do a google search for one of these people and be directed to my future web site. Thanks for your help.

On the data\people page of Second Site 3 (right up near the top) there is a control which allows you to include or exclude people on the basis of a flag setting.

Robert Jacobs

My article Controlling Who is Included discusses the various tools available in some depth. The method described in the section "Specifying Who is Included by a Flag" should do it for you, if you exclude living people. However, if there are non-living people who would be named because they share an event with another person who is included in the site, and that's not acceptable, the last method, "Limiting Details by a Flag" would be more sure.

I have created a PRIVACY at all costs flag and include such people there. I too have a branch that wish to keep even GGrandparents private (although anyone could easily get the info!). So I use this PRIVACY flag together with the LIVING flag to add (or not add) people to the Focus group via a filter on the Project Explorer. I then use the Focus group for anything I send out to "the world", mostly GEDCOM to things like Rootsweb trees, or to other people who I am not sure of.

A bit messy, but once you realise some people value their family privacy more than others, it's the only way to keep the peace.

I have created a PRIVACY at all costs flag and include such people there. I too have a branch that wish to keep even GGrandparents private (although anyone could easily get the info!). So I use this PRIVACY flag together with the LIVING flag to add (or not add) people to the Focus group via a filter on the Project Explorer. I then use the Focus group for anything I send out to "the world", mostly GEDCOM to things like Rootsweb trees, or to other people who I am not sure of.

A bit messy, but once you realise some people value their family privacy more than others, it's the only way to keep the peace.

If I understand correctly, you set a privacy flag in TMG and then completely filter those people out in a TMG focus group that contains the remaining 4085 people (5000 - 15 = 4085). Then you use the focus group as the project for Second Site and set exclude/include living people. Is this right?

Mike,

Sort of, but not quite. You set the privacy Flag, which as values of let's say Y and N, where Y is for those you want to keep private.

Then, to create a GEDCOM, you would put a filter on the Project Explorer for your PRIVACY = N - that is those not set to private. Select everyone now in the Project Explorer and export them.

To control who is included in a site built with Second Site, you need a Flag, not a Focus Group. You can use the same Flag, using the methods described in the article I referred you to above.