Robert Jacobs

How to handle Wales, Cornwall and the like

I have just discovered among my wife's great-grandparents a couple who were born in Wales. How should this location be entered or perhaps an appropriate place style established?

Thanks to all.

Robert Jacobs

I have just discovered among my wife's great-grandparents a couple who were born in Wales. How should this location be entered or perhaps an appropriate place style established?

Thanks to all.

Robert Jacobs

Robert, I (and I think a lot of folks) have made a new Place Style called something like "UK Std. Place". Caroline Gurney has several different UK related place styles on her web site at:

http://www.gurney.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Placestyles.htm

Hope this helps.

=Mark Scott

Thanks to all.

Robert Jacobs

Robert, I (and I think a lot of folks) have made a new Place Style called something like "UK Std. Place". Caroline Gurney has several different UK related place styles on her web site at:

http://www.gurney.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Placestyles.htm

Hope this helps.

=Mark Scott

Thanks so much, Mark. I see how the styles are constructed. It looks s though I need one which allows for Swansea (City), Glamorgan (County), Wales (Province?) and United Kingdom (Country). Would one call Wales & Cornwall provinces?

Thanks again and all good wishes.

Robert

Thanks so much, Mark. I see how the styles are constructed. It looks s though I need one which allows for Swansea (City), Glamorgan (County), Wales (Province?) and United Kingdom (Country). Would one call Wales & Cornwall provinces?

Thanks again and all good wishes.

Robert

Robert

Cornwall is a county. Personally, I call England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales countries. UK is used in formal situations - "I am a citizen of the UK". Northern Ireland is referred to as a province of the UK. To keep things simpler, I would suggest not using 'province'. You can put all these in the 'country' field.

Neil

Robert

Looking in you might regard Enland, Wales, Scotland and N Ireland as States/Provinces of the UK. Hence unless you have lots of Parish/Sub Town data the US Place Styles work ok for a lot of UK locations.

Those from within may obviously take a different view but unless they are at the UN and the Olympics it could be viewed as somewhat generous to call the sub entities "Countries"

Those from within may obviously take a different view but unless they are at the UN and the Olympics it could be viewed as somewhat generous to call the sub entities "Countries"

Dear Neil,

I'm not sure that a non-Briton -- and non-Commonwealther -- like myself is qualified to enter this discussion. I do note that on the three U.S. censuses in which I've found the Holmeses from Swansea that they identified their own & their parents' country of origin as "Wales." Evidently they considered themselves Welsh. I wonder if they would also have thought of themselves as "British," in the way Americans think of themselves as, e.g., New Yorkers and Americans?

I'm not quite sure what the significance of Welsh 3rd g-grandparents is, but I would think that the style should work so that they aren't lumped indiscriminately with everyone from the British Isles.

Robert

Dear Neil,

I'm not sure that a non-Briton -- and non-Commonwealther -- like myself is qualified to enter this discussion. I do note that on the three U.S. censuses in which I've found the Holmeses from Swansea that they identified their own & their parents' country of origin as "Wales." Evidently they considered themselves Welsh. I wonder if they would also have thought of themselves as "British," in the way Americans think of themselves as, e.g., New Yorkers and Americans?

I'm not quite sure what the significance of Welsh 3rd g-grandparents is, but I would think that the style should work so that they aren't lumped indiscriminately with everyone from the British Isles.

Robert

Hi

Here is the history from a "Brit" [lol]

Great Britain - The Kingdom of Great Britain resulted from the political union of the kingdoms of England and Wales with Scotland in the Acts of Union 1707 on 1 May 1707 under Queen Anne.

United Kingdom - In 1801, under a new Act of Union, this kingdom merged with the Kingdom of Ireland to create the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. After the Irish War of Independence in 1922, most of Ireland seceded from the Union. Currently the kingdom is named the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Commonwealth - this is made up of GB and other countries which used to make up the British Empire ie India, Jamiaca etc that has been created for trading purposes etc

We all have our own national identity ie we are Scottish, English, Welsh or Irish. When we are on the British mainland we tend to use this terminology but when abroad ie mainland Europe or the USA the English for some reason usually change to being British.

In the 1990's power started to devolve from the central Parliament in London to Wales and Scotland although central government is still in charge of defence, taxation etc. Before this all laws were the same for England and Wales but Scotland has always had some differences, some which affect family history ie some parts of criminal law, property law and marriage laws.

Counties are the localised administrative centres within each "country". Church records are usually held at the Record Offices within the particular county and birth, marriage and death records are held with the county and at the central GRO [General Record Office].

So a typical address for a letter from the USA should be [ficticious]

Mrs G Hope

23 High Street

East Goscote [the village]

Leicestershire [the county]

England

LE5 4DX [the postcode]

I hope this helps

Half Pint

Edited by half pint

Dear Half Pint,

That's extremely helpful and I'm most grateful for the information. I've always wondered about the distinction between Great Britain and the United Kingdom and now I see that it has an historical root. Thanks so much.

Robert

Personally I regard England, Wales and Scotland to be countries in their own right and the appearance of United Kingdom in drop down menus on websites to be a real anathema. When I was young my passport gave my nationality as British (English) and my father's was British (Welsh). :wacko:

Personally I regard England, Wales and Scotland to be countries in their own right and the appearance of United Kingdom in drop down menus on websites to be a real anathema. When I was young my passport gave my nationality as British (English) and my father's was British (Welsh). :wacko:

I must admit that I always have a heavy heart before pressing the button to produce the drop down menu as I don't know whether I will have to find England, Great Britain or the United Kingdom.