otisinhotville

Slow import from FTM

I have just installed TMG on a new laptop running Windows7. I am trying to import a FTM file into TMG and it is taking an extremely long time to import. Approximately 8000 people file has taken 5 hours so far and is only 36% done. Any tips or suggestions. Do TMG files import into TMG faster?

That's the nature of GenBridge and probably a reflection of the hardware. I suspect that the import on my system would happen in a relatively short time. However, the GenBridge import is slow and I suspect that the code could be optimized to increase the performance.

The only TMG import that is done is for TMG4 and earlier and that goes fairly quickly.

That's the FTM version of the database that you're importing?

and

Are you using the v7.04 import components?

If you are using the v7.04 import components, write me and I'll send you updated components.

Click on the link belkow to send me an email.

Jim Byram

Jim,

Doesn't it matter which version of FTM they are transferring from? I seem to recall seeing somewhere the TMG 7 cannot import via Genbridge from the latest version of FTM, issued after TMG was issued...

Jan

Import from FTM 2010 is not supported. There was no selection for FTM 2010 when you selected the import type.

With FTM 2010, you need to export to a FTM 2008/2009 database and import to TMG from that.

File / Export / Family Tree Maker 2008/2009

Be sure to modify the filename or location so that your FTM 2010 database is not overwritten.

I didn't read this and used my FTM 2010 file to import, but didn't get the sources. It took two weeks to import 69,000 people. Any idea how long it will take to import those 69,000 with the sources?

Thanks. Tracy

Please read my message directly above yours. FTM 2010 import is not supported.

The FTM 2008/2009 import will take a while depending on your hardware resources. On my system it might take a couple of hours (or less). I can do the import for you if you wish.

FTM 2011 was just released. No, it's not supported.

From FTM 2010 and from FTM 2011, you can export to a FTM 2008/2009 database and import that database to TMG.

I didn't read this and used my FTM 2010 file to import, but didn't get the sources. It took two weeks to import 69,000 people. Any idea how long it will take to import those 69,000 with the sources?

Thanks. Tracy

Thanks Jim. I didn't look back and didn't realize anyone had answered. It took two weeks to import the 2008/2009 file and now I have my sources. However, when I export a gedcom to rootsweb the titles of the source citations appear, but not the detail. In other words, the file shows the title of the census page, but not the information I transcribed from the census.

I'm learning the program slowly and am enjoying it...

Thanks. Tracy

Citations don't have titles. Sources do. Where did you record the transcriptions?

In a GEDCOM, citation detail appears in the individual records subordinate to the SOUR (citation) tags, not in the source records.

I have done imports from FTM 2009 to TMG and it does take a long time. For me it was about five hours on a slow system. Afterward the locations and sources needed to be fixed.

However, TMG will import all my links to images and it's the only program I know that will do this. Getting out of any FTM software is a major pain so I stopped using it. For two years now I've been cleaning up an FTM 2009 import to Legacy via GEDCOM and it's a major cleanup job. I didn't want to use TMG because it's too out of date and far too much cleanup compared to Legacy.

I'm hoping that TMG will come out with a new version soon because Legacy is based on old technology too (Access 2000) and, while it has a lot of good features, it also has a large learning curve. Legacy also doesn't manage images very well and there's know way to list all source-citations or who they're connected to. That is my major complaint with Legacy. I'm thinking of switching back to TMG, but I don't even know if the "current" version will work with Windows 7 64-bit.

I'm thinking of switching back to TMG, but I don't even know if the "current" version will work with Windows 7 64-bit.

The current version, TMG 7 - does indeed work perfectly with Windows 7 64-bit except for report output to word processors. If you need that feature there are some work-arounds but none of them are especially convenient.

I'm trying to use the trial version of TMG v7.04 to see if I want to use it instead of FTM 2011. I have about 40,000 individuals in my FTM 2011 and didn't realize that you couldn't import into TMG from FTM 2011 until I'd tried it twice and read on this board that I couldn't do it. Oh, well.

I took someone's advice and created a FTM 2008/2009 backup file and am currently trying to import that into TMG. I've only been importing for about 15 minutes and I'm 18% done (its importing people and names). OMG, this is painful! Can anyone give me some idea of how long this might take? Someone posted that it took them 2 weeks to import! Augh!

I'm wondering if I'll even have enough time to evaluate the software before my trial period is up.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or encouragement anyone's got....

Thanks-

It'll take a while. The GenBridge code is not optimized for performance. That said... I've done many FTM imports for testing and have never had one take more than 2-3 hours at the longest.

It'll take a while. The GenBridge code is not optimized for performance. That said... I've done many FTM imports for testing and have never had one take more than 2-3 hours at the longest.

I am trying a different approach. The reason my file is so big is that I have a huge branch of my husband's grandmother's family (about 40,000 people) that we got from a distant relative (turning out to be a major mixed blessing). Anyway, I have a FTM 2011 file that doesn't have this branch of the family (about 600 people) that I am going to experiment with. I've exported it as FTM 2008/2009 and am currently importing it. Looks like it's done, so I'm off to experiment!

I guess I have to figure out what to do with the 40,000 relatives we have courtesy of the distant relative. We got the data in a GEDCOM file originally. Perhaps I'll try uploading that separately....

Thanks

You folks must have some mighty srong machines... My quad-core with 8G ram has never taken less than 16-hours for any reasonable sized data file. After converting the FTM files back to the 2009-version, my Last attempt has 17.5 K persons and was at 36-hours when Microsoft decided to auto-update my machine.

Note to self: "REMEMBER TO TURN OFF AUTO-UPDATE"