Dave Dalton

Runtime version of visual chartform?

I would like for my children to have access to the electronic versions of some visual chartform charts I have generated. Is there or can there be a runtime version of visual chartform that I could ship with the chart, or must they purchase the product to look at these charts? They are much too large to generate bitmaps or jpegs.

Thanks, Dave Dalton

VCF is completely separate from TMG but it would take some effort to determine the system and support file requirements.

There is no installer that installs VCF alone.

I would like for my children to have access to the electronic versions of some visual chartform charts I have generated. Is there or can there be a runtime version of visual chartform that I could ship with the chart, or must they purchase the product to look at these charts? They are much too large to generate bitmaps or jpegs.

Thanks, Dave Dalton

Your children can download/install the 30 day free trial version of TMG which contains VCF. VCF should work.

There are probably more solutions to your wishes.

Best wishes and good luck,

Thanks, Dave Dalton

Forgot to mention, see Virginia Blakelock's recommended Dropbox (on-line file sharing via internet solution, free for moderate memory requrements) at https://www.dropbox.com/ to save postage and snail-mail waiting.

You might also want to check out free CutePDF program to generate PDF format files from almost any application.

It is possible to install Visual Chart Form on its own, but that process takes some expertise. I do not know the legal licensing implications of the process of re-distributing it.

However, I would suggest that you install a PDF pseudo printer application (like PDF995 or its equivalent). In VCF, use File > Page Setup; then File > Print (in both cases selecting this pseudo printer) to create a PDF file that you send to your relatives. PDFs are usually smaller than saved .VC2 files any way. NOTE: there is a Windows limitation (I can't remember whether it is Vista/Win7 or 64bit) where _Microsoft have removed the Printer Selection button_ from the the Page Setup dialogue, meaning that you need to first make the PDF pseudo printer your default printer before you generate or open a saved VC2 file..

The one trick is to find a PDF pseudo printer application that has "Postscript Custom Pagesize" selections with maximum page limits that will allow your chart to be shown on a single page. (Some applications have much smaller maximum page sizes than others.) Then your relatives can using Acrobat Reader (or equivalent) to view, zoom and pan over your chart.

If this were an ongoing situation, you could give them a copy of Family Tree Super Tools ($17.95). They can open a VCF chart in that program and view the data from a gedcom of your v7 project (FTST v2.0 will not open a TMG v7.04 project directly). We've had one report that FTST v2 works with Win7, though I'm not sure of 64-bit.

Or, if you use Second Site, you can import VCF charts into that program and send them a CD or DVD.

Virginia

Thanks all for some good responses, as usual. Virginia, it sounds like Family Tree Super Tools is just the thing. I will have my son download a copy for his use.

Dave Dalton

Dave -

I understand that FTST - which has not been updated in a while - may not be satisfactory for importing current v7 files if that was a consideration in your decision. If your only interest is in viewing charts, it would be fine - but overpriced. Some of the other alternatives may be more practical.

Virginia

Dave -

You mentioned earlier that the charts were too large for jpg's. If these are the multiple-feet-long wall charts, probably so. There is an example on the TMG report examples site of a good-sized VCF chart in jpg format here. This jpg is 190.64 KB.

As Mike suggested, it is quick and easy to share jpg's using Dropbox (2 GB free). I don't do large charts, but below are links to two one-page charts that I exported as jpg's in VCF, saving them to the Dropbox Public folder on my computer. They appeared simultaneously in the online Dropbox Public folder with a link option for sharing.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3797379/Blakelock%28113%29.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3797379/Whipple.jpg

In this example, I used my Public Dropbox folder to share with this group. It is important to note that anything shared in the Public Dropbox effectively falls into the public domain - for anyone to use. Sharing with friends or family members requires a different procedure. In that case, you designate a specific folder with access limited to a specific person or persons who also must have a Dropbox account.

Virginia