Sign in to follow this  
mark dickson

Entering/displaying more than 1 set of parent tags

I have a young man who rode one of the "orphan trains" from New York to Missouri ca. 1900. He was selected and later adopted by a couple; on his TMG record, they have the tags of "Fath-ado" and "Moth-ado." The problem is that I recently identified his biological parents and would like to include them with his record as Father and Mother. Is there a way to do this? Thanks!

If they are not already in your database then ADD Father and ADD Mother. If they are then ADD Tag and select Father-Bio etc.

Only one set of parents will print on reports so you need to make sure that the set you want is primary. If you always want to see details of the other set you will have to add another tag (e.g. Adoption).

Hi Mark,

The issue of how to handle adoption in TMG has been the topic oif numerous discussions. It involves not only identifying all parents, and changed names, but also the life and legal events it involves. I chose to create a set of custom tags for this purpose which I have described in the Sentence Forum here. You may also want to search these WhollyGenes forums with the keyword "adoption" and the TMG-L RootsWeb e-mail archives here for additional ideas from other users.

Hope this gives you ideas,