efcharvet

FamilySearch Certified

The best feature of TMG is its flexability. I tell my cousin's, if you can think it, TMG can do it. And there in lies the problem for beginners and some intermediate users that are genealogically savvy but not "computer literate". There is no digrace in not being an advanced computer user. We each have our area's of expertise. The question is,,, How to get users up to speed using the advanced features of TMG. I guess the answer is simple. Use the beginner mode and ,,,,,,, be happy they can eventually turn on the advanced mode.

Michael B. -

The terms 'Beginner' and 'Advanced' modes in TMG do not imply or relate to beginning or advanced computer use or to degree of genealogical interest or expertise. The Advanced mode includes optional customizations - many related to narrative-format reports. Advanced features:

- Roles

- Sort date

- Place styles

- Name styles

- Event-specific names

- Witnesses

- Sentences

- Sureties

'Beginner' mode provides for the same standards of data entry and sourcing for serious research as 'Advanced' mode but - without the "advanced" features - has a simpler interface.

Virginia

Beginner vs. Advanced Mode, in comparison to Begginer and Advanced Genealogist, in my opinion go hand in hand. Folks that use find Family Tree Maker easy to use often times fail to site their sources. The just add Mother, Father, children, and their bmdb dates and use the garbage in garbage out principal of computing. I am grateful for much of their leg work. It helps me with a at least a starting point to go looking for clues to rebuild and reverify what "could" have been done the first time through.

Beginner vs. Advanced Mode, in comparison to Begginer and Advanced Genealogist, in my opinion go hand in hand. Folks that use find Family Tree Maker easy to use often times fail to site their sources. The just add Mother, Father, children, and their bmdb dates and use the garbage in garbage out principal of computing. I am grateful for much of their leg work. It helps me with a at least a starting point to go looking for clues to rebuild and reverify what "could" have been done the first time through.

I think you are confusing the terms TMG uses for Basic and Customized data entry - Beginner and Advanced - with whatever negative connotation you associate with those words. I have used TMG for many many years - in Basic mode. Those years of experience and that mode of data entry do not alone make me an Advanced or Beginner genealogist or more or less sloppy in my research. It just means I don't use the customizations. The TMG program and the TMG community encourage and support sound genealogical practices, no matter the mode. It would be a disservice to conscientious TMG users to label them pejoratively according to the mode of data entry.

Virginia

I whole heartedly agree. That is why I wrote,,,,,,, "There is no disgrace in not being an advanced computer user. We each have our areas of expertise." The more folks use computers AND TMG the better the everyone's research becomes. I sincerely expect no one read into my post a disparaging remark. None were intended!!

Every day I try and find ways to improve myself and the genealogy work I've done and I am hopeful that others do the same.

I honestly do not see a negative stigma associated with the adjectives like beginner, intermediate, or advanced. I've spent 30 to 40 hours a week for the last 20 years doing genealogy work. I only consider myself to be at the intermediate level. I used FTM from 1995 to 2005, I know what I mean when I write garbage in, garbage out. In Sept 2005 I genbridged my file into TMG. It took me a few weeks to REALLY clean up the Master Place List. A lot of my cemetery names in FTM read exactly alike but were not. e.g. Goodwin Family Cemetery, Hertford, Perquimans County, North Carolina, USA. I've since gone back and named each place with a specific name, address, and when able GPS coordinates. I have plotted nearly 4,000 cemeteries, (thus no confusion directions like go down the dirt road till you see the thicket, turn left and go about 150 yards into the field)

I've used TMG since Sept 2, 2005. It is far and above the most comprehensive Family Genealogy research tool available,,, in my opinion anyways. It's ability to link people to events is what I consider to be its forte. I link folks to Wills, Census's, Death Certificates, address's/residences, newspaper articles, obituaries. It really helps to find missing data. I am still looking for my great grandmothers sisters date of death. My last recorded event for her is that she appeared in the 1900 census. No record,,,, thus far,,,, exists after that for her. I have her in the 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, and 1900 census's.

To get back on topic, yesterday I downloaded Legacy 7.4. I imported a new gedcom from my data into it. The few hours I spent working with it did not impress me. I've tried several programs over the years, Family Tree Maker, Brother's Keeper, Roots IV, Ultimate Family Tree, and Family Access. each may have had their own niche, TMG however,,, does it all with finesse.

I liken TMG to that of an fine automobile or bottle of wine. It's not expensive, it's not just good, it's great. But you have to have an afinety for it and understand why it's as good as it is. Once you experience it greatness you'll never go back to "simpler" programs. Simpler does not indicate a negative connotation. It is what it is. Simpler, easier.

Lastly, the intent of my other posting was to promote creative analytical thinking of what TMG can or could become. Before Google came along, we used search engines like Excite, AltaVista, Ask Jeeves, etc. So what can we as provocative TMG user do to stimulate future versions of TMG. Is online collaboration an effective tool. Someday I would hope so. My reasoning is simple. End redundant reseach. End duplicate databases from being published. Share all, with all, what we find. Link and unite our kin.

Imagine other possibilities of TMG. We already have last edited date. But unless the research log is used, we may not know the last event edited. Now, imagine a snap shot taken of what person with id number 1234 looks like right now. If we add a date of death, the last edit date changes to today. The program could be set up to show what the file looked like before and after the edit. AND if in a multi-user world, the id of the person who completed the edits/additons/deletions could be recorded.

In an online world, you want help with adding a census tag, you could right click and links to either TMG help or Terry's Tips or both, could be part of the drop down menu.

You want to publish to the web,,, third party app, Second Site.

And in my humble opinion, that is why others want SIMPLE. If others are jumping shipping for simpler programs that are "almost" as comprehensive as TMG. Then TMG may go the way of the dodo bird. AND I don't want to see that happen.

My goal is to push forward while keeping an eye on the past. After all, if you don't know where've been. How can you be expected to know where to go next?

Thanks,

Michael B